Inequality Problem: Find X & Min Value in Triangle ABC

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the point (\frac{2\sqrt{6}}3, 3) is the minimum point in the interior of the triangle ABC, and the triangle has a center of gravity at the centroid.
recon
In [tex]\triangle ABC, AB=4, BC=5, and AC=7[/tex]. Point X is in the interior of the triangle such that [tex]AX^2 + BX^2 + CX^2[/tex] is a minimum. What is X, and what is the value of this expression?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a homework problem. What have you tried so far?

By the triangle inequality,

AX + CX >= 7
CX + BX >= 5
BX + AX >= 4

Therefore, AX + BX + CX >= 8

By the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality,

(AX^2 + BX^2 + CX^2)*(1^2 + 1^2 + 1^2) >= (AX + BX + CX)^2 >= 64

If

[tex]f(x, y) = \sum_{i = 1}^{3}\left [(x-x_i)^2 + (y-y_i)^2\right][/tex]

can you find the value(s) of x and y that minimize the function?

It's not homework. I saw the problem somewhere on the web, and am trying to solve it using my mediocre knowledge of inequalities. I'm only in a normal A-Level math course, so almost none of the problems we get involve euclidean geometry.

Hmm, actually I think it may be solvable using the triangle inequality only. I think X may be at point A.

Then test it! The method I proposed places that point at the center of the triangle. Compare the values of f(x, y) at both points.

P.S. I haven't tested whether the point I found is a minimum or a maximum!

Tide said:
Then test it! The method I proposed places that point at the center of the triangle. Compare the values of f(x, y) at both points.
P.S. I haven't tested whether the point I found is a minimum or a maximum!
What do you mean by the 'centre' of the triangle?

I found the problem in a paper about inequalities, so I've been trying to use the inequalities given in the paper to solve the problem. The inequalities in the paper were the AM-GM-HM inequality, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the Rearrangement inequality and the Triangle Inequality. I've given up trying to solve the problem with inequalities.

Instead, I've approached the problem geometrically, by embedding the triangle in a cartesian coordinate system with point A at the origin and AB lying on the positive y-axis, and letting X = (x,y).

Using routine coordinate geometry (cosine rule & pythagorean theorem), I am able to identify C as having coordinates [tex](2\sqrt{6},5)[/tex]. It follows from this that

[tex]AX^2 + BX^2 + CX^2 =& x^2 + y^2 + x^2 + (4-y)^2 + (2\sqrt{6} - x)^2 + (5 - y)^2 = 3(x - \frac{2\sqrt{6}}3)^2 + 3(y-3)^2 + 30 [/tex]

The Minimum occurs at [tex]X = (\frac{2\sqrt{6}}3, 3)[/tex]

Last edited:
yeah, and notice it's the center of gravity of the triangle :smile:

Last edited:
maverick6664 said:
yeah, and notice it's the center of gravity of the triangle :smile:
It's at the centroid. A triangle does not have mass and so does not have a "center of gravity"!

(I am waging a hopeless war against using physics terms in mathematics.)

HallsofIvy said:
It's at the centroid. A triangle does not have mass and so does not have a "center of gravity"!
(I am waging a hopeless war against using physics terms in mathematics.)

oh sorry, in japanese the literal translation is "center of gravity."

but centroid also has the meaning of "center of mass"

Last edited:
but hallofisy mathworld uses those terms centre of mass / gravity as well

I said it was a hopeless war!

By the way, if the triangle is in a coordinate system, then the coordinates of the centroid is the average of the coordinates of the three vertices.

That only works, in general, for triangles. For more complicated figures, such as a quadrilateral, you can disect the figure into triangles but then you need to "weight" the average by the area of each triangle.

1. What is the "inequality problem" in Triangle ABC?

The inequality problem in Triangle ABC refers to finding the values of x and the minimum value in the triangle based on its three sides, A, B, and C, and the corresponding angles.

2. Why is finding x and the minimum value important in Triangle ABC?

Finding x and the minimum value in Triangle ABC is important because it helps determine the validity of the triangle, as well as its size and shape. It also allows for the calculation of other important properties, such as area and perimeter.

3. What is the formula for finding x in Triangle ABC?

The formula for finding x in Triangle ABC is based on the law of cosines, which states that c² = a² + b² - 2ab cos(C). This can be rearranged to solve for x: x = √(a² + b² - 2ab cos(C)).

4. How can the minimum value in Triangle ABC be determined?

The minimum value in Triangle ABC can be determined by finding the smallest side of the triangle. This can be done by comparing the lengths of the three sides and choosing the shortest one.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving the inequality problem in Triangle ABC?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for solving the inequality problem in Triangle ABC. For example, it can be used in engineering and architecture to determine the stability and strength of structures, or in surveying to measure land and calculate distances.