Solving Inequality Problem: 0 < |z| < 1

• Thread starter Garret122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, The conversation is about a problem in complex analysis where the triangle inequality is being used to prove that |z_1|>1 and |z_2|<1, but there is confusion about the proof for |z_2|. The expert suggests using the inequality |a+b|\le |a|+ |b| to prove the second part.
Garret122
Sorry that i posted in the wrong topic, I'm kind of new here :D
Hi this is my problem:

if 0<|z|<1 and z_1 = -1/a - ((1-a^2)^(1/2))/a
z_2 = -1/a + ((1-a^2)^(1/2))/a
Then it is clear to me that |z_1|>1 since using triangle inequality we get that |z_1| =| -1/a - ((1-a^2)^(1/2))/a | >= |1/a| + something smaller than one but positiv, and since |1/a| >1 then |z_1| > 1

But how to prove |z_2| < 1 since bye triangle inequality we kind of get the same thing |z_2| = | -1/a + ((1-a^2)^(1/2))/a | >= |1/a|+ |((1-a^2)^(1/2))/a| > 1 ? This doesn't make sense at all!

Please help me, i need this to a problem on an integral in complex analysis, which I'm preparing for my exam ;)

thank you for your time!
Garret

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly did you learn as "the triangle inequality"? Most people learn it as [itex]|a+ b|\le |a|+ |b|[/itex]. From that, if we let a= x- y, b= y we get
[itex]|x-y+y|= |x|\le |x-y|+ |y|[/itex] so that [itex]|x-y|\ge |x|- |y|[/itex]. That second inequality is what you used. To prove the second part use the inequality [itex]|a+b|\le |a|+ |b|[/itex].

What is an inequality problem?

An inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves comparing two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. The solution to the problem is a range of values that satisfies the inequality statement.

What does the notation |z| mean in the inequality problem 0 < |z| < 1?

The notation |z| represents the absolute value of the complex number z. This means that the magnitude or distance of z from 0 on the number line is greater than 0 but less than 1. In other words, z is a non-zero number that is closer to 0 than to 1.

Why is it important to solve inequality problems?

Inequality problems are important because they help us understand and analyze relationships between quantities. They are often used in real-world situations to make decisions and solve problems. Solving inequality problems also helps improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do you solve the inequality problem 0 < |z| < 1?

To solve the inequality problem 0 < |z| < 1, we need to find all possible values of z that satisfy the inequality statement. This means that z must be a non-zero number that is greater than 0 and less than 1. The solution set can be represented as 0 < z < 1 or in interval notation (0, 1).

What are some applications of solving inequality problems?

Inequality problems have various applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to analyze supply and demand in economics, model physical constraints in physics, and optimize production processes in engineering. Inequality problems are also commonly used in educational settings to assess students' understanding of mathematical concepts.