Solve Inequality with x: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Taturana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, to find possible values of x, you need to solve two sets of inequalities. First, solve \frac{2}{x-2}\leq \frac{x+2}{x-2}. Then, solve either \frac{2}{x-2}\leq 1 or \frac{x+2}{x-2}\leq 1. The set of solutions must be valid in both cases. You can also take different approaches, such as taking cases in the denominator or multiplying both sides by a positive number. Ultimately, you may need to solve a quadratic inequality to find the final set of possible values for x.
Taturana
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6198/48289623.png

Find possible values of x.

Can somone explain me step by step how to do that?

I would be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to solve two sets of inequalities.

First solve [tex]\frac{2}{x-2}\leq \frac{x+2}{x-2}[/tex]

and then either solve [tex]\frac{2}{x-2}\leq 1[/tex] OR [tex]\frac{x+2}{x-2}\leq 1[/tex]

And of course the set of solutions need to be valid in both cases, so some cases will be scrapped.

e.g. if you have [itex]a\leq b\leq c[/itex] (a,b,c any function of x)
and you solve [itex]a\leq b[/itex] and end up with the result [itex]x\leq 5[/itex]
and then you solve [itex]b\leq c[/itex] and end up with [itex]x> 2[/itex]

then you can conclude that the answer is [itex]2<x\leq 5[/itex]

Thank you for replying Mentallic.

Sorry for ignorance but I have some more doubts.

how do I solve [tex]
\frac{x+2}{x-2}\leq 1
[/tex]?

Should I do x+2 <= 1, find the answer and make intersection with answer of x-2 <= 1?
I don't remember how do solve a quotient-inequality...

Thank you

Ahh sorry, I just assumed you were comfortable with solving one set of inequalities and the problem here was actually what to do when it's in the format of two inequalities.

There are also a variety of ways to solve these, so I guess you could take your pick of your favourite :smile: But it's always nice to learn the other methods too.

1) Like you were kind of thinking, you can take cases in the denominator separately. There are a few cases in this, so I'll give you the idea with the first one:

Assume the denominator is positive i.e. [itex]x>2[/itex]

Now since the denominator is positive by our assumption, we can multiply both sides of the equation and it won't affect the inequality sign.

[tex]x+2\leq x-2[/tex]

Now we solve this normally since there is no threat of dividing by a negative. So we get [itex]2\leq -2[/itex] but this is obviously wrong, so this means our first assumption that [itex]x>2[/itex] is wrong.

Now you need to try for the case that the denominator is negative (you don't need to do it for 0, since the denominator can't be 0).

2) The problem with inequalities is that the sign must flip around if you multiply/divide by a negative number. And since we are doing this for x, there will be values that are both positive and negative. But any number squared is always positive, so this is what we can do.

[tex]\frac{x+2}{x-2}\leq 1[/tex]

multiply both sides of the fraction by the same thing: [tex]\frac{(x+2)(x-2)}{(x-2)^2}\leq 1[/tex]

and now you can see the denominator will always be positive, so we multiply through by normal. Then you'll need to re-arrange and make the quadratic equal zero. Do you know how to solve quadratic inequalities?

Thank you for replying again Mentallic, your explanation helped me a lot.

You're welcome :smile:

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities, with one quantity being greater or less than the other. It is represented by the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥.

2. How do you solve an inequality with x?

To solve an inequality with x, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and all other terms on the other side. You can do this by using inverse operations, just like solving an equation. Remember to flip the inequality symbol if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number.

3. What is the difference between solving an equation and solving an inequality?

The main difference is that when solving an equation, you are looking for a specific value for the variable that makes the equation true. In contrast, when solving an inequality, you are looking for all possible values of the variable that make the inequality true. This is because an inequality can have multiple solutions.

4. Can you graph inequalities?

Yes, you can graph inequalities on a coordinate plane, just like you would graph equations. The solution to the inequality will be the shaded region on the graph. If the inequality symbol includes an equal sign (≤ or ≥), the boundary line will be a solid line. If the inequality symbol does not include an equal sign (< or >), the boundary line will be a dashed line.

5. How do you know if a solution to an inequality is inclusive or exclusive?

If the inequality symbol includes an equal sign (≤ or ≥), the solution is inclusive, meaning that the value of the variable can equal the number on the inequality. If the inequality symbol does not include an equal sign (< or >), the solution is exclusive, meaning that the value of the variable cannot equal the number on the inequality.