1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality problem

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    Hi, I was asked to determine which values of n, 3^n > n^3.

I think this inequality holds for all intergers. But I have trouble proving it..

I checked n=1 which the inequality holds, then assume true for n.
    for n+1 case:
    3^(n+1) > (n+1)^3
    3*3^n > (n+1)^3

i know that 3*3^n > 3n^3. But is there a way to show that 3n^3 > (n+1)^3?
    and also, even i proved that to be right, it's only valid for n>= 4, how should i show that for n< 4 ?

Please give me some idea for that! Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    hmmm...O(n) problem...i'm kinda rusty on this, but here's what i remember:

in this case, on the RHS you have n^3 term (if you expand the cube of sum), you can "ignore" the rest of the expression since the order of the polynomial is 3 here and everything else is going to be either on order of n^3 or less than that. So, what you'll end up doing is comparing 3^n and n^3 again (ommiting the constants) and the way induction works, you have reduced the inductive case (n+1) to the base case (which i assume you would have proved with n >=4), so ... end of proof.
    For the latter (n >= 4) i will have to dig out my notes and get back to you, i remember doing it but don't remember how to do it formally (perhaps ln or smth like that). It's basically finding a point of intersection of these two graphs, since the obvious case is when n = 3, 3^n = n^3, i.e. have a common point.
  4. Sep 6, 2005 #3
    Usually these types of problems are difficult to solve because the variable is in both the base and the exponent. I don't know of any other way besides numerically.
  5. Sep 6, 2005 #4
    Assume [itex]3^p > p^3[/itex] for p >= 4

Then [tex]3^{p+1} - (p+1)^3 = 3*3^p - (p+1)^3 > 3p^3 - (p+1)^3 = 3p^3 - p^3 - 3p^2 - 3p - 1 = 2p^3 - 3p^2 -3 p - 1[/tex].
    Now just show that [itex]2p^3 - 3p^2 - 3p - 1 > 0[/itex] for all p >= 4.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  6. Sep 6, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By plugging in each leftover value in turn and checking the inequality. :tongue2:
  7. Sep 7, 2005 #6
    Thanks all for replying!
    i was able to show this to be true for all R <= 0 and all R >= 4. Next, i just plug in the value for n = 1, 2 which makes the inequality true. (But is it enough to assume that the Real numbers n, 0<= n < 3 satisifies the inequality?)
    Besides for n=3, both sides are equal which makes the inequality false. then how should i show the Real numbers between 3 and 4 to be true without going into Caluculus and just by just using the induction method?

edit: oh, if i checked n=1 to be correct, for induction method, can i say that i assume all n to be true except case n=3. and when doing the inequality, apply log on both sides?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?