Solving the Inequality Problem with n, 3^n > n^3

• Thread starter loli12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the inequality 3^n > n^3 for all integers, and the speaker is struggling to prove it. They consider using induction, but also mention the difficulty of solving an inequality with a variable in both the base and exponent. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use numerical methods and a question about how to prove the inequality for real numbers between 3 and 4 without using calculus.
loli12
Hi, I was asked to determine which values of n, 3^n > n^3.

I think this inequality holds for all intergers. But I have trouble proving it..

I checked n=1 which the inequality holds, then assume true for n.
for n+1 case:
3^(n+1) > (n+1)^3
3*3^n > (n+1)^3

i know that 3*3^n > 3n^3. But is there a way to show that 3n^3 > (n+1)^3?
and also, even i proved that to be right, it's only valid for n>= 4, how should i show that for n< 4 ?

Please give me some idea for that! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
loli12 said:
I think this inequality holds for all intergers. But I have trouble proving it..
I checked n=1 which the inequality holds, then assume true for n.
for n+1 case:
3^(n+1) > (n+1)^3
3*3^n > (n+1)^3
...But is there a way to show that 3n^3 > (n+1)^3?
hmmm...O(n) problem...i'm kinda rusty on this, but here's what i remember:

in this case, on the RHS you have n^3 term (if you expand the cube of sum), you can "ignore" the rest of the expression since the order of the polynomial is 3 here and everything else is going to be either on order of n^3 or less than that. So, what you'll end up doing is comparing 3^n and n^3 again (ommiting the constants) and the way induction works, you have reduced the inductive case (n+1) to the base case (which i assume you would have proved with n >=4), so ... end of proof.
For the latter (n >= 4) i will have to dig out my notes and get back to you, i remember doing it but don't remember how to do it formally (perhaps ln or smth like that). It's basically finding a point of intersection of these two graphs, since the obvious case is when n = 3, 3^n = n^3, i.e. have a common point.

Usually these types of problems are difficult to solve because the variable is in both the base and the exponent. I don't know of any other way besides numerically.

Assume [itex]3^p > p^3[/itex] for p >= 4

Then [tex]3^{p+1} - (p+1)^3 = 3*3^p - (p+1)^3 > 3p^3 - (p+1)^3 = 3p^3 - p^3 - 3p^2 - 3p - 1 = 2p^3 - 3p^2 -3 p - 1[/tex].
Now just show that [itex]2p^3 - 3p^2 - 3p - 1 > 0[/itex] for all p >= 4.

Last edited:
how should i show that for n< 4 ?

By plugging in each leftover value in turn and checking the inequality. :tongue2:

Thanks all for replying!
i was able to show this to be true for all R <= 0 and all R >= 4. Next, i just plug in the value for n = 1, 2 which makes the inequality true. (But is it enough to assume that the Real numbers n, 0<= n < 3 satisifies the inequality?)
Besides for n=3, both sides are equal which makes the inequality false. then how should i show the Real numbers between 3 and 4 to be true without going into Caluculus and just by just using the induction method?

edit: oh, if i checked n=1 to be correct, for induction method, can i say that i assume all n to be true except case n=3. and when doing the inequality, apply log on both sides?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the inequality problem being addressed in this equation?

The inequality problem being addressed is when the exponential function 3^n grows faster than the polynomial function n^3.

2. Why is it important to solve this inequality problem?

It is important to solve this inequality problem because it can help us better understand the relationship between exponential and polynomial functions and how they grow over time.

3. How does the solution to this inequality problem affect other areas of science?

The solution to this inequality problem can have implications in various fields of science, such as economics, biology, and physics. It can help us make more accurate predictions and models in these areas.

4. Can this inequality problem be solved for all values of n?

Yes, this inequality problem can be solved for all values of n, as long as n is a positive integer.

5. What methods can be used to solve this inequality problem?

There are various methods that can be used to solve this inequality problem, such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, and numerical analysis. Each method may provide different insights and solutions to the problem.