Inequality Proof: 1 < (1+ab)/(a+b) for a, b > 1 | Check My Work"

In summary, the proof that if a,b > 1, then a+b < 1+ab involves assuming that a and b are greater than 1 and then showing that a+b is less than 1+ab. This is done by manipulating the original inequality and using basic algebraic principles to prove the statement. It is important to note that when proving a conditional statement, one must assume the first part of the statement and show that the second part follows, rather than assuming the second part and showing that the first part is true.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

Prove that if a,b > 1, then a+b < 1+ab

The Attempt at a Solution

Just want to know if this makes sense:

first let a+b < 1+ab become 1<(1+ab)/(a+b) ==> 0<(1+ab-(a+b))/(a+b).

Factoring the numerator: 0<(1-a+ab-b)/(a+b) ==> 0<(1-b)+a(b-1)/(a+b)

So the next step would be to figure out where the numerator is greater than zero, since that is equivalent to our original inequality (do we just ignore the denominator since its undefined only in relation to variables?).

Solving the numerator for b would be: 0<(1-b)+a(b-1) ==> -(1-b)<a(b-1) ==> 1<a

Would this be an acceptable proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be, if you wrote it down the other way around.
So start with: "suppose that a, b > 1. Then 1 < a, therefore -(1 - b) < a(b - 1). So 0 < (1 - b) + a (b - 1) " ... etc.

If you can do that an each step is still valid, then the proof is correct.

What about examining the following:
[tex]
a+b-(1+ab)
[/tex]
This can be factorised:
[tex]
a+b-1-ab=a(1-b)+b-1=(b-1)(1-a)
[/tex]

armolinasf said:
So the next step would be to figure out where the numerator is greater than zero...
Actually, you need to show that the numerator IS greater than 0 for all a,b (not where it is greater).

armolinasf said:
do we just ignore the denominator since its undefined only in relation to variables?
Yes and no.

Yes. You can ignore the denominator since we know a,b > 1 then the denominator (a+b) must also be greater than 1

No. The denominator is not undefined at all, since it can never be equal to 0.

armolinasf said:

Would this be an acceptable proof?
No. This is incomplete, it only shows that a>1; what about b>1?

armolinasf said:
first let a+b < 1+ab become 1<(1+ab)/(a+b) ==> 0<(1+ab-(a+b))/(a+b).

Factoring the numerator: 0<(1-a+ab-b)/(a+b) ==> 0<(1-b)+a(b-1)/(a+b)

You could save yourself some time (and, at the same time, avoid the issue of the denominator) by simply subtracting (a+b) from the original inequality:

a+b < 1 + ab
0 < 1 + ab - a - b
0 < (1 - b) + (ab - a)
0 < (1 - b) + a(b - 1)
-(1 - b) < a(b - 1)
(b - 1) < a(b - 1)
1 < a

zgozvrm said:
You could save yourself some time (and, at the same time, avoid the issue of the denominator) by simply subtracting (a+b) from the original inequality:

a+b < 1 + ab
0 < 1 + ab - a - b
0 < (1 - b) + (ab - a)
0 < (1 - b) + a(b - 1)
-(1 - b) < a(b - 1)
(b - 1) < a(b - 1)
1 < a
What this not what I already said?

hunt_mat said:
What this not what I already said?
Essentially, yes. I just made it more clear how the result the OP came up with can be obtained by showing the steps from beginning to end. (At the same time answering the question concerning the denominator).

I would look at it in reverse: Given that you have a>1 and b>1, can you show that a + b < 1 + ab?

Starting out, we already know that a>1 and b>1
Therefore, we know that a-1 > 0 (subtracting 1 from both sides)
(a-1) is therefore non-zero and positive.
We can then multiply both sides of b>1 by (a-1), giving us b(a-1) > (a-1)
Multiplying out, we get ab - b > a - 1
Rearranging, we get ab + 1 > a + b
Which is the same as a+b < 1 + ab thus proving the given statement.

I never thought of looking at the problem that way zgozvrm. Thanks for all the advice

i feel the need to stress, as compuchip pointed out, and zgozvrm demonstrated, to prove a conditional (if A, then B) you can assume A and show that B follows, but not the other way around. Assuming B and showing A (which is what the original post tried to do) would not be a proof of 'If A, then B'.

1. How do I know if my inequality proof is correct?

To check if your inequality proof is correct, you should start by identifying the given inequality and the conclusion you are trying to prove. Then, carefully examine each step of your proof, making sure that each step follows logically from the previous one. Check your algebraic manipulations and make sure they are correct. Finally, substitute values into your inequality to see if it holds true for all possible values.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing an inequality proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing an inequality proof include using incorrect algebraic manipulations, making assumptions without proper justification, and skipping steps in your proof. It is important to be thorough and precise in your reasoning, and to provide sufficient evidence for each step of your proof.

3. Can I use examples to support my inequality proof?

Yes, using examples can be a helpful way to illustrate your proof and make it easier for others to understand. However, it is important to remember that examples do not constitute a proof on their own. You still need to provide a logical and systematic explanation for how your example demonstrates the validity of the inequality.

4. Is it necessary to use mathematical notation in an inequality proof?

While mathematical notation can be helpful in clearly and concisely expressing your proof, it is not always necessary. As long as your reasoning is clear and your steps are logical, you can use words and explanations to support your proof instead of mathematical symbols.

5. Can I use other theorems or properties in my inequality proof?

Yes, you can use other theorems or properties in your inequality proof as long as you clearly state and justify how they support your argument. However, it is important to make sure that the theorems or properties you are using are relevant and applicable to the specific inequality you are trying to prove.