Prove Inequality: a,b,c>0 \frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{c} + \frac{c}{a} \ge 3

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality \frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{c} + \frac{c}{a} \ge 3 for positive values of a, b, and c. The attempt at a solution includes using a similar method for another inequality and seeking help. The final solution involves clearing denominators, dividing by 3, and applying the AM-GM inequality. It is mentioned that the inequality holds for real values of a, b, and c.
deancodemo

Homework Statement

If a, b, c > 0, prove [tex]\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{c} + \frac{c}{a} \ge 3[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not so sure how to do this. Usually I would try to prove that [tex]\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{c} + \frac{c}{a} - 3 \ge 0[/tex] but this gets me nowhere: [tex]\frac{a^2 c + b^2 a + c^2 b - 3abc}{abc}[/tex]. I can't factorise the numerator.

I know of a similar inequality that I can prove easily using this method, which is [tex]\frac{a}{b} + \frac{b}{a} \ge 2[/tex] but the inequality above is harder for me. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are a, b, and c integers?

It doesn't matter if a, b, c are integers or not. The inequality holds for real a,b,c > 0.

Clear denominators, divide by 3, and apply the AM-GM inequality.

1. What is the significance of the inequality a,b,c>0 in this expression?

The inequality a,b,c>0 indicates that the variables a, b, and c are all positive values. This is important because a negative value for any of these variables would result in an undefined expression, making it difficult to prove the inequality.

2. How can we prove the inequality a/b + b/c + c/a ≥ 3?

There are several ways to prove this inequality. One method is to use the AM-GM inequality, which states that the arithmetic mean of a set of positive numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean. By applying this inequality to the terms in the expression, we can show that a/b + b/c + c/a ≥ 3.

3. Can this inequality be proven using algebraic manipulation?

Yes, it is possible to prove this inequality using algebraic manipulation. One approach is to expand the expression and then use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to show that it is greater than or equal to 3.

4. Is there a geometric interpretation of this inequality?

Yes, there is a geometric interpretation of this inequality. If we consider the variables a, b, and c as the side lengths of a triangle, then the expression a/b + b/c + c/a represents the sum of the ratios of the side lengths. The inequality states that this sum is always greater than or equal to 3, which means that the triangle formed by these side lengths is always acute or equilateral.

5. Can this inequality be applied to any set of positive numbers, or are there specific conditions that must be met?

This inequality can be applied to any set of positive numbers as long as the variables a, b, and c are all greater than 0. However, it is important to note that the equality case of a/b + b/c + c/a = 3 only holds when a = b = c, which means that the numbers must be equal for the inequality to be true.