Proof Inequality: g(x) >= f(x) on S of Real Numbers

In summary, by looking at the expression x + 1 - (x - 1)^2, we can see that on any interval where it is positive, g(x) is greater than f(x), and on any interval where it is negative, g(x) is less than f(x). Therefore, on the set S of real numbers between 0 and 3, g(x) is greater than or equal to f(x) for all x in S.
Tangent...

Homework Statement

If f(x) = (x-1)^2 and g(x) = x+1, then g is greater than or equal to f on the set S = {real numbers x : x is between 0 and 3}.

Homework Equations

g is greater than or equal to f on the set S of real numbers iff for all s in S, g(s) is greater than f(s).

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we know x is an element of S, we know that x is between 0 and 3. That is, (x)(x-3) is less than or equal to 0. And here is where I get stuck.

I have tons of scratch paper that doesn't really show anything, and my TA gave what he calls a "proof" of this, but he assumed f(x) is less than or equal to g(x), but doesn't realize that assuming what you are trying to prove is not a way to prove anything. I just don't know how to start this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully, you have sketched a graph of both functions. If so, you should see that the two curves intersect at (0, 1) and (3, 4).

Look at the expression x + 1 - (x - 1)2. On any interval where this expression is positive, g(x) > f(x). On any interval where the expression is negative, g(x) < f(x). Note that I am not a priori assuming either function is larger than the other.

For some reason I never thought to subtract f(x) from g(x). It is proved! Thank you!

1. What is the concept of proof inequality?

The concept of proof inequality states that for a given set of real numbers, if a certain function g(x) is always greater than or equal to another function f(x), then this relationship can be proven with mathematical proof.

2. How is proof inequality used in mathematics?

Proof inequality is a mathematical tool used to establish relationships between functions and their values. It is often used in calculus and real analysis to prove the convergence or divergence of sequences and series.

3. What is the difference between strict and non-strict proof inequality?

In strict proof inequality, the relationship between the two functions is strictly greater than or strictly less than, while in non-strict proof inequality, the relationship can also include equality. In other words, strict inequality does not allow for the two functions to have the same value, while non-strict inequality does.

4. Are there any specific conditions that need to be met for proof inequality to hold?

Yes, for proof inequality to hold, the functions g(x) and f(x) must be defined on the same domain and must be continuous on that domain. Additionally, the domain must be a closed interval, such as [a,b] or [0,∞).

5. Can proof inequality be applied to any type of function or only specific ones?

Proof inequality can be applied to any type of function as long as the conditions mentioned above are met. However, it is most commonly used with polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions.