1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inequality proof

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let x and y be real numbers. Prove that if x =< y + k for every positive real number k, then x =< y

3. The attempt at a solution

x =< y + k
    -y + x =< k
    since k is positive, the lowest value it can take doesn't include 0: -y + x < 0
    x < y

So I get x < y from x =< y + k and not the required x =< y. Am I right or I'm screwing up somewhere? Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2010 #2
    If x and y are equal, then [itex] x \leq y + k [/itex] for all [itex] k>0 \in \mathbb R [/tex], right? So your conclusion must not be right.

Try this. Assume there are an x and y such that [itex] x \leq y + k [/itex] for all [itex]k>0[/itex] but [itex] x > y[/itex] and show this leads to a contradiction.

4. Sep 24, 2010 #3
    Out of x > y I got -y + x > 0.
    So that 0 < -y + x =< k

But that's not quite a contradiction? Or is it?

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I haven't studied this at all, but intuitively I would say that lynchu is correct.

If x and y are equal, then we only have x=y+k in the case that k=0, now if k>0 then x<y+k. Right?

6. Sep 24, 2010 #5
    Well yes, but that's not the statement that's being evaluated. The theorem to be proved is:

IF [itex] x \leq y + k [/itex] for all real [itex]k>0[/itex], THEN [itex] x \leq y [/itex].

lynchu's claim was stronger than this; he claimed that in fact

IF [itex] x \leq y + k [/itex] for all real [itex]k>0[/itex], THEN [itex] x < y [/itex].

But this isn't true, because if x and y are equal, then the condition holds, but the conclusion is false.

What you said was:

IF [itex]x=y[/itex], THEN [itex]x<y+k [/itex] for all real [itex]k>0[/itex].

No, not really. All you need to do is show me ONE k value so that if [itex] x \leq y + k [/itex] and [itex] x > y [/itex] you get a contradiction.

7. Sep 24, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh I see, yeah now it makes sense why it should be [tex]x\leq y[/tex] :smile:

8. Sep 25, 2010 #7
    Appreciate the help so far.
    I've spent way too much time on this and yet I just don't see it. :cry:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook