Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality proof

1. Jul 22, 2005 #1
    Show that for each complex sequence [tex]c_1, c_2, ..., c_n[/tex] and for each integer [tex]1 \leq H < N[/tex] one has the inequality

[tex]
    | \sum_{n=1}^N c_n|^2 \leq \frac{4N}{H+1} ( \sum_{n=1}^N |c_n|^2 + \sum_{h=1}^H | \rho_N(h)|)
    [/tex]

Any one.....matt grime perhaps? :wink:

note: if anyone actually wants to work this out let me know and I will fill in the missing parts...but don't ask me to do it.... :tongue2:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, that's good. The more fancy meaningless symbols, the better. :biggrin:

4. Jul 22, 2005 #3
    There is an important part missing but it is a true bound...not just meaningless... :smile:

5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, I'll take your word for it. It would be nice if someone were around to explain it to me. :wink:

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5
    Yeah...it would take a really smart....creative....mathematician to do so...who would be able to do that I wonder??????

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

... and patient. I've never even worked with complex numbers before. You can just treat them as ordered pairs of real numbers, right? I think I'd like that approach.

8. Jul 22, 2005 #7
    I know the solution, but I won't say to give other people a chance. It's not that hard.

9. Jul 22, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Its packman eating flies, so the ansewer must be MxBxHs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?