1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality question

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    Does anyone can solve the following equation?

|x − 1| = 1 − x

Thanks

Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2
    Yes I can. Thanks for inquiring!

4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    Sorry, that's unfair - it's your first post. Can you show us the work you have so far? Do you understand what absolute value means?

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4
    Square both sides. And see what you get.

6. Aug 28, 2007 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A more introductory way is to consider (x -1) as separately positive, and negative.

If x - 1 is positive, then x - 1 = 1 - x;
    If x - 1 is negative, then x - 1 = -(1 - x )

7. Aug 28, 2007 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, that is not an inequality question; but an absolute value equation.

8. Aug 28, 2007 #7
    If you have |a| = -a, what is the only way this can be true?

9. Aug 29, 2007 #8
    This is the solutions which is done by myself:

|x − 1| = 1 − x
    x − 1 = ±(1 − x)

First
    x − 1 = +(1 − x)
    = 1 − x

Second
    x − 1 = −(1 − x)
    = −1 + x
    = x − 1

By |x| = ±x properties.

That's absolutely correct. I mean ABSOLUTE VALUE QUESTION. Thanks for remind me about that.

Why should I square-ing both sides of them? This is the most question I want to know in the ABSOLUTE VALUE. As I can read on Calculus book, there is no rules about SQUARE on absolute value except the |x| = √x^2 one. Can you explain me further about this?

10. Aug 29, 2007 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

tomcenjerrym - Your first condition yields x=0 as a solution; and your second condition allows ALL real numbers as solutions. All real numbers will satisfy the equation.

11. Aug 30, 2007 #10
    No they won't. Take x=5 as an example |5-1|=|4|=4, but 1-5=-4, so in this case |x-1| does not equal 1-x, hence it is obviously not true for all real numbers. There is, however, a subset of the real numbers (with more than a single element) that satisfies the above equation.

12. Aug 30, 2007 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You're correct. I was not careful enough when I solved the problem. We must watch around the critical point. The first part indicates x=1. When we check a value less than 1, we find equality; when we check a point greater than 1, we do not find equality.

The solution seems to be x<=1

13. Aug 30, 2007 #12
    I like nicktacik way to solve the problem. It’s simple and easy to understand. Thank you very much nicktacik and thank you to everyone too.

14. Aug 30, 2007 #13
    The title "Inequality Question" is thus not entirely wrong, since the solution is an inequality.

15. Aug 31, 2007 #14

cks

nicktacik,

ya, his answer was kind of making me suddenly awake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?