Proving cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1) - Proof and Reasoning

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the inequality cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1) and whether the reasoning used is correct. The conversation also mentions the use of the identities (cos(x))^2 ≤ 1 and n2 ≤ (2∏k)2 for consecutive integers n and k. However, it is mentioned that the conversation is unnecessarily complicated and that the squeeze theorem is all that is needed to prove the inequality.
Miike012
I want to prove
cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1)

I know this is an obvious inequality but I want to know if my reasoning is correct.

For the expression cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) to be as large as possible the numerator must → ∞ but cos2(x) is bounded above by 1.

cos2(x) = 1 for x = 2∏k where k ≥1 is an integer.

cos2(2∏k)/((2∏k)2 + 1) = 1/ ((2∏k)2 + 1) for integers k ≥ 1.

Now I want to compare n2 + 1 to (2∏k)2 + 1:

n2 ≤ (2∏k)2 where n and k are consecutive integers from 1 to ∞.

n2 + 1 ≤ (2∏k)2 + 1
and
1/(n2 + 1) ≥ 1/ ((2∏k)2 + 1 )

so cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is unnecessarily complicated, if you can assume the identity (cos(x))^2 ≤ 1, then just divide both sides by (n^2 + 1)

Yes I know that, I just wanted to see if I was correct in what I was saying.

Miike012 said:
I want to prove
cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1)

I know this is an obvious inequality but I want to know if my reasoning is correct.

For the expression cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) to be as large as possible the numerator must → ∞ but cos2(x) is bounded above by 1.
The numerator can't approach infinity
Miike012 said:
cos2(x) = 1 for x = 2∏k where k ≥1 is an integer.

cos2(2∏k)/((2∏k)2 + 1) = 1/ ((2∏k)2 + 1) for integers k ≥ 1.

Now I want to compare n2 + 1 to (2∏k)2 + 1:

n2 ≤ (2∏k)2 where n and k are consecutive integers from 1 to ∞.
Do you mean that if n = 2, k = 3, and if n = 3, k = 4? I get the idea that what you said isn't what you meant.
Miike012 said:
n2 + 1 ≤ (2∏k)2 + 1
and
1/(n2 + 1) ≥ 1/ ((2∏k)2 + 1 )

so cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1)

As already noted by poopsilon, what you have is much more complicated than what is needed, not to mention unclear. For any integer n (and for that matter any real number), -1 ≤ cos2(n) ≤ 1. This idea and the "squeeze" theorem are all you need to establish the inequality you started with.

Mark44

"The numerator can't approach infinity"

Miike012
I know this that is why I said...
" but cos^2(x) is bounded above by 1."

Mark44

"Do you mean that if n = 2, k = 3, and if n = 3, k = 4? I get the idea that what you said isn't what you meant."

Miike012
"where n and k are consecutive integers from 1 to ∞."

So if I have the following inequality
n^2 ≤ (2∏k)^2

Then if n and k are consecutive integers from 1 to ∞ what I am meaning to say is...

when n is 1 k is 1
when n is 2 k is 2
n = 3, k = 3...

so,
(1)^2 ≤ (2∏(1))^2

(2)^2 ≤ (2∏(2))^2

(3)^2 ≤ (2∏(3))^2

And so on...

Miike012 said:
Miike012
"where n and k are consecutive integers from 1 to ∞."

So if I have the following inequality
n^2 ≤ (2∏k)^2

Then if n and k are consecutive integers from 1 to ∞ what I am meaning to say is...

when n is 1 k is 1
when n is 2 k is 2
n = 3, k = 3...
Since n and k are equal at each step, there's no need for two variables. What you wrote was very confusing. You could have said
n2 ≤ (2##\pi n)^2##, for n = 1, 2, 3, ...

1. What is the purpose of proving cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1) - Proof and Reasoning?

The purpose of this proof is to show that the inequality stated is true for all values of x and n. It is a way to demonstrate the relationship between these two expressions and to provide mathematical evidence for their validity.

2. How is this proof relevant to scientific research?

This proof may be relevant to scientific research that involves the use of cosine and numerical values, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can also serve as a foundation for more complex mathematical reasoning and problem solving.

3. What are the steps involved in proving cos2(x)/(n2 + 1) ≤ 1/(n2 + 1) - Proof and Reasoning?

The steps involved in this proof may vary, but generally they involve simplifying the expressions, manipulating the equations to show their equivalence, and using mathematical principles and rules to justify each step. It may also involve using previously proven theorems or lemmas.

4. Can this proof be applied to other similar inequalities?

Yes, the concepts and techniques used in this proof can be applied to other similar inequalities involving trigonometric functions and numerical expressions. It can serve as a template for proving other mathematical relationships.

5. How can this proof be used to solve real-world problems?

This proof can be used to solve real-world problems by providing a rigorous and logical approach to understanding and manipulating mathematical expressions. It can also serve as a tool for verifying the accuracy of calculations and predictions in various scientific fields.