1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality question

1. Mar 19, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, could someone please help me out with the following question?

Q. Prove that the following inequality holds for all natural numbers n and rewrite the inequality using summation notation.

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + ... + \left( {n - 1} \right)^3 < \frac{1}{4}n^4 < 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + n^3 [/tex]

For the summation notation part I got: [tex]\sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {\left( {k - 1} \right)^3 } < \frac{1}{4}n^4 < \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {k^3 } [/tex]

I managed to prove that the inequality is true. However, there seems to be some sort of symmetry in the inequality. Is there a 'shortcut' to this question or does it need to be done the way that I did? That is, showing separately that the left and right parts of the inequality are true and then combining the results. I'd like to know partly because I want to enhance my understanding of questions of this type. Any ehlp appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2005 #2
    If you want to approach it analytically:
    Notice that the left-hand side is a lower sum and the right-hand side is an upper sum of the integral
    [tex]\int_0^{n}x^3 dx[/tex]

This directly yields:

[tex]1^3 + 2^3 + ... + \left( {n - 1} \right)^3 \leq \frac{1}{4}n^4 \leq 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + n^3 [/tex]

It is not difficult to show that equality is not possible.

4. Mar 19, 2005 #3
    Thank you for your help Timbuqtu.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?