Is x=0 a solution to the inequality above?

• Thread starter Rectifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    inequality
In summary, to solve the inequality $x+\frac{16}{\sqrt{x}} \geq 12$, it is necessary to first show that $x>0$. This can be done by considering the fact that the expression on the left side is not defined for $x \leq 0$. Then, by introducing a new variable $z=\sqrt{x}$ and minimizing the function $f(x)=x+\frac{16}{\sqrt{x}}$ in the region $x>0$, it can be shown that the minimum value of this function is 12. This means that 12 is the lowest value the function can have for $x>0$, thus proving that only $x>0$ satisfies the given
Rectifier
Gold Member

Homework Statement

$$x+\frac{16}{\sqrt{x}} \geq 12$$

How do I show that only x>0 satisfies the inequality above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not made a lot of progress here. I tried the following:
$$x+\frac{16}{\sqrt{x}} - 12 \geq 0$$

I tried to multiply with $$ \sqrt{x} $$ but i am not sure wether that is allowed or not.

I am stuck here :,(

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:

Homework Statement

Is the expression on the left side defined for x≤0?

Likes Rectifier
ehild said:
Is the expression on the left side defined for x≤0?

I don't think so. There were no additional information in the problem so i suppose that we should use real numbers. And thus for ##\sqrt{x}## to be > 0 the x should be more that 0. Am I right? Was that problem that easy? :O

Last edited:
Rectifier said:
I don't think so. There were no additional information in the problem so i suppose that we should use real numbers. And thus for $\sqrt{x}$ to be > 0 the x should be 0 or more. Am I right? Was that problem that easy? :O
For ##\sqrt{x}## to be > 0, x should be definitely greater then zero. You can not divide by zero!
That is not the solution yet, only a condition x must satisfy. You have to show for what positive x values the inequality is valid. You can introduce a new variable z=√x, arrange the inequality in the form f(z)≥0 and try to factorize f(z), by finding the roots. (They are simple integers :smile: )

Likes Rectifier
ehild said:
For ##\sqrt{x}## to be > 0, x should be definitely greater then zero. You can not divide by zero!
That is not the solution yet, only a condition x must satisfy. You have to show for what positive x values the inequality is valid. You can introduce a new variable z=√x, arrange the inequality in the form f(z)≥0 and try to factorize f(z), by finding the roots. (They are simple integers :smile: )

Thank you for your help.

I have set ## z=\sqrt{x} ##

$$z^2+\frac{16}{z} \geq 12 $$

$$z^2+\frac{16}{z} -12 \geq 0 $$

And I get stuck :,(

Rectifier said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not made a lot of progress here. I tried the following:
$$x+\frac{16}{\sqrt{x}} - 12 \geq 0$$

I tried to multiply with $$ \sqrt{x} $$ but i am not sure wether that is allowed or not.

I am stuck here :,(

Minimize the function ##f(x) = x + 16/\sqrt{x}## in the region ##x > 0##. What do you get?

Rectifier said:
I don't think so. There were no additional information in the problem so i suppose that we should use real numbers. And thus for ##\sqrt{x}## to be > 0 the x should be more that 0. Am I right? Was that problem that easy? :O

NO, not necessarily: what is stopping ##x + 16/\sqrt{x}## from being < 12 for some ##x> 0##? You need to show that cannot happen!

Ray Vickson said:
Minimize the function ##f(x) = x + 16/\sqrt{x}## in the region ##x > 0##. What do you get?
Alright, then:
$$ f(x)=x+ \frac{16}{\sqrt{x}} \\ f'(x)=1- \frac{8}{x^{\frac{3}{2}}} \\ 0=1- \frac{8}{x^{3}{2}} \\ x=4 $$

I am afraid that I don't know how that x=4 is going to make my life easier :D

Rectifier said:
Alright, then:
$$ f(x)=x+ \frac{16}{\sqrt{x}} \\ f'(x)=1- \frac{8}{x^{\frac{3}{2}}} \\ 0=1- \frac{8}{x^{3}{2}} \\ x=4 $$

I am afraid that I don't know how that x=4 is going to make my life easier :D

Yes, but knowing that ##f(4)## is the smallest possible of ##f(x)## in the region ##x > 0## is valuable information, especially since evaluating ##f(4)## is not very hard.

Likes Rectifier
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, but knowing that ##f(4)## is the smallest possible of ##f(x)## in the region ##x > 0## is valuable information, especially since evaluating ##f(4)## is not very hard.
How can I use that value to solve the problem? :D I am sorry if I am being slow on this one.

Rectifier said:
How can I use that value to solve the problem? :D I am sorry if I am being slow on this one.
The interesting thing here is that i get 12 if I try to calculate f(4). This means that 12 is the lowest value the function can have for x>0!

Rectifier said:
The interesting thing here is that i get 12 if I try to calculate f(4). This means that 12 is the lowest value the function can have for x>0!

Exactly: so you have proved the statement they asked you to prove!

Likes Rectifier
Ray Vickson said:
Exactly: so you have proved the statement they asked you to prove!
Yey! :D
Oh gosh I am so appy now. I have been sitting with this one for about a day now. Thank you Ray and thank you ehild! :D

Rectifier said:

Homework Statement

How do I show that only x>0 satisfies the inequality above ?
I don't see that this original question was answered.

ehild did try to lead you to the answer.

Suppose that x < 0, i.e. x is negative.

What is ##\ \sqrt{-4\,}\ ## ?

SammyS said:

2i

Rectifier said:
2i
IGNORE

Of course that's not a real number.

Oh SNAP !

I see you did answer this in Post #3 .

Last edited:
SammyS said:

I think the question was somewhat weirdly stated. Certainly, the inequality makes no sense at all if ##x < 0##, but for ##x > 0## there is still a non-trivial issue to prove, viz., that ##f(x) \geq 12\; \forall \, x > 0##.

With the notation z=√x, the original inequality can be written as z3-12z+16 ≥ 0. In order to factorize the left side, we try to find one root. As the coefficients are all integer, it is possible that integer root exist, one among the dividers of 16. 1 is not a root, but 2 is, and -4 also. So the inequality can be written as (z-2)2(z+4) ≥ 0
Knowing that z>0, is there any value of z so that the product (z-2)2(z+4) becomes negative?

Rectifier said:
You've only shown x=4 is a critical point so far. For completeness, you should show that f(4) is a minimum.

ehild said:
With the notation z=√x, the original inequality can be written as z3-12z+16 ≥ 0. In order to factorize the left side, we try to find one root. As the coefficients are all integer, it is possible that integer root exist, one among the dividers of 16. 1 is not a root, but 2 is, and -4 also. So the inequality can be written as (z-2)2(z+4) ≥ 0
Knowing that z>0, is there any value of z so that the product (z-2)2(z+4) becomes negative?
why is it ok to multiply with z when going from:
## z^2+ \frac{16}{z} - 12 \geq 0 ##
to
## z^3+16-12z ≥ 0 ## ?

Thought:
We know that z>0 right now. So I guess that it is allowed. But what if z could be z<0 or perhaps even z=0 (thats not the case this time) but what if? :)

I am sorry if I am going slightly off-topic.

Rectifier said:
to
## z^3+16-12z ≥ 0 ## ?

Thought:
We know that z>0 right now. So I guess that it is allowed. But what if z could be z<0 or perhaps even z=0 (that's not the case this time) but what if? :)

There are a number of methods to handle this.

Other methods can be quicker, but the most general method is to consider the possible cases:

If z > 0 : then ...

If z < 0 : then ...

(Of course, z ≠ 0 for examples like this.)

Rectifier said:
to
## z^3+16-12z ≥ 0 ## ?

Thought:
We know that z>0 right now. So I guess that it is allowed. But what if z could be z<0 or perhaps even z=0 (thats not the case this time) but what if? :)

Z can not be zero as it is in the denominator.
If z may be negative you have to discuss both cases. In case it is negative and you multiply with it, the inequality will change: ## z^3+16-12z ≤ 0 ## , that is, (z-2)2(z+4)≤0, that can happen if ? So ## z^2+ \frac{16}{z} - 12 \geq 0 ## is satisfied by z from two intervals.

What is the definition of a solution to an inequality?

In mathematics, a solution to an inequality is a value or set of values that make the inequality true when substituted into the inequality.

Is x=0 a valid solution to any inequality?

Yes, x=0 can be a solution to some inequalities. It depends on the specific inequality and its parameters.

How do I know if x=0 is a solution to a given inequality?

To determine if x=0 is a solution to a given inequality, you can substitute 0 for x in the inequality and solve for the remaining variable(s). If the resulting statement is true, then 0 is a solution to the inequality.

Can x=0 be a solution to a strict inequality?

Yes, x=0 can be a solution to a strict inequality, such as x < 5. In this case, x=0 would make the inequality true because 0 is less than 5.

Are there any special cases where x=0 is always a solution to an inequality?

Yes, if the inequality is of the form x > 0 or x ≥ 0, then x=0 will always be a solution because 0 is greater than or equal to 0.