Solving x<sin(x)<x w/ Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to the inequality -x < sin(x) < x using the mean value theorem. The attempt at a solution involved setting up the function f(x)=sin(x) and using the values a=-x and b=x. However, the attempt did not result in the correct solution. The expert suggests trying again with a=0 and b=x and considering the maximum and minimum values of cosine as they relate to the inequality.
matcad

Homework Statement

-x<sin(x)<x

Homework Equations

show the inequality using the mean value theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to find c but i keep getting tan(x) as the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show me what you've tried, I can help you better.

i had:

f(x)=sin(x) a=-x b=x

f(x)-f(-x)= f'(c) (x+x)
sin(x) = sin(x)=cos(c) (2x)
2sin(x)=2cos(xc)
tan(x)=c

i don't know if that's right, but i don't get the result.

i would appreciate your help.

First, [itex]2x \cos (c) \neq 2 \cos(cx)[/itex] and second [tex]\frac{\cos(cx)}{\cos (x)}\neq c[/tex]!

Try again, but this time use a=0 and b=x.

What do you know about the maximum and minimum values of cosine of any number?

ok, now i got:

f(x)=sin(x) a=0 b=x

f(x)-f(0)= f'(c) (x-0)
sin(x) =cos(c) (x)
sin(x)/x=cos(c)

im stucked there...
i don't know what you mean with the the maximum and minimum values of cosine of any number.

Well, cosine is a periodic function that is never greater than 1 or less than negative 1...ring a bell?

That means that [itex]-1\leq \cos (c) \leq 1[/itex] and so...

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point on the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used to solve inequalities?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to solve inequalities involving a function and its derivative. By finding the critical points of the function and evaluating the derivative at those points, we can determine the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. This information can then be used to solve the inequality.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that meet the necessary conditions of being continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. If a function does not meet these conditions, the theorem cannot be used.

What is the significance of solving x

Solving this inequality allows us to find the values of x where the sine function is sandwiched between x and -x. This is useful in applications such as finding the maximum and minimum values of a function or determining the behavior of a system.

Are there other methods for solving this inequality besides using the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, there are other methods such as graphing, using trigonometric identities, or algebraically manipulating the inequality. However, the Mean Value Theorem provides a more rigorous and general approach to solving the inequality.