Inequality without factor table

In summary: Again, that is not a problem, but would tell you that there are no solutions for ##x > 1##.In summary, to solve the inequality $$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 $$ without using a factor table, you must consider three cases: when ##x > 1##, when ##x < -4##, and when ##-4 \le x < 1##. After analyzing each case, it is determined that the overall solution is ##x > 1##. In other cases, there are no solutions. In the original post, the solution process involved assuming ##x > 1## and looking for solutions, which resulted in a logical but redundant solution.
Rectifier
Gold Member
I am trying to solve this inequality without using a factor table.

The problem

$$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 $$

The attempt at a solution
As I can see ##x \neq 1##. I want to muliply both sides of the expression with x-1 to get rid of it, from the fraction. But before that, I have to consider two cases where x-1 is bigger and smaller than 0 because the sign gets inverted when multiplying (or dividing) by a negative number.

Case 1:
## x-1 > 0 \\ x >1 ## gives
$$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 \\ \\ x+4 > 0 \\ x > -4$$Case 2:
## x-1 < 0 \\ x < 1 ## gives
$$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 \\ \\ x+4 < 0 \\ x < -4$$This is the place where I get stuck. I am not sure how to take all this information and produce an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
I am trying to solve this inequality without using a factor table.

The problem

$$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 $$

The attempt at a solution
As I can see ##x \neq 1##. I want to muliply both sides of the expression with x-1 to get rid of it, from the fraction. But before that, I have to consider two cases where x-1 is bigger and smaller than 0 because the sign gets inverted when multiplying (or dividing) by a negative number.

Case 1:
## x-1 > 0 \\ x >1 ## gives
$$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 \\ \\ x+4 > 0 \\ x > -4$$Case 2:
## x-1 < 0 \\ x < 1 ## gives
$$ \frac{x+4}{x-1} > 0 \\ \\ x+4 < 0 \\ x < -4$$This is the place where I get stuck. I am not sure how to take all this information and produce an answer.

Well, you can't just multiply both sides with x - 1 since it contains information to solve the inequality. From what you have now, x can be any real number except 4 or 1. What if x = 0? I don't know whether you know a sign table. You can use this to solve this exercise.

Rectifier said:
This is the place where I get stuck. I am not sure how to take all this information and produce an answer.

Let's take case 1. ##x > 1## What can you say about the expression ##\frac{x+4}{x-1}## in this case?

Last edited by a moderator:
PeroK said:
Let's take case 1. ##x > 1## What can you say about the expression ##\frac{x+4}{x-1}## in this case?

It is always positive for x > 1.

Likes Merlin3189
Rectifier said:
It is always negative for x > 1.

Hmm! Really? What about ##x = 2##?

PeroK said:
Hmm! Really? What about ##x = 2##?
You were fast! Edited the answer just before you commented :D. It is positive. I cannot tell that from my expression that I get in case 1. Not sure how to interpret x > -4

Rectifier said:
You were fast! Edited the answer just before you commented :D. It is positive.

So, that's half your answer: If ##x > 1## the expression is always positive.

What about when ##x < 1##?

PeroK said:
So, that's half your answer: If ##x > 1## the expression is always positive.

What about when ##x < 1##?
Well, that is the tricky part! :D x = 0 gives a negative number. x = - 5 gives a positive number. Not sure how to use my case studies to come to an answer though.

Rectifier said:
Well, that is the tricky part! :D x = 0 gives a negative number. x = - 5 gives a positive number.

Is there another critical value for ##x##? Perhaps something you've already calculated?

PeroK said:
Is there another critical value for ##x##? Perhaps something you've already calculated?
I have a feeling that it is the interval that I calculated in case 2 but I am not sure why.

Rectifier said:
I have a feeling that it is the interval that I calculated in case 2 but I am not sure why.

What you did in the OP was correct, but it created a logically slightly difficult solution that you weren't able to interpret. I suggest you solve the problem and I can try to explain what happened in your OP, if you like.

You actually should have used 3 cases here. The next case is ##-4 \le x < 1##. Let's call this case 2.

Likes Rectifier
PeroK said:
What you did in the OP was correct, but it created a logically slightly difficult solution that you weren't able to interpret. I suggest you solve the problem and I can try to explain what happened in your OP, if you like.

You actually should have used 3 cases here. The next case is ##-4 \le x < 1##. Let's call this case 2.

Yes, please.

In the third case gives a negative outcome.

I feel like its much easier to solve these with a sign table :D

Rectifier said:
Yes, please.

In the third case gives a negative outcome.

Not quite. When ##x = -4## the expression is zero. But, there are no solutions for ##-4 \le x < 1##.

What about ##x< -4##?

Likes Rectifier
PeroK said:
What about ##x< -4##?
Gives a positive outcome.

Rectifier said:
Gives a positive outcome.

So, what's the overall solution?

PeroK said:
So, what's the overall solution?
x>1 and x<-4

What happened in your original post?

You started by assuming that ##x > 1## and looked for solutions. You found solutions when ##x > -4##. This looked strange but it was actually quite logical. What you had was:

##x > 1## and ##x > -4##

Which, logically, is simply ##x > 1##.

There's something else that might have happened in a different problem. You might have got something like:

##x > 1## and ##x < -2##

Again, that is not a problem, but would tell you that there are no solutions for ##x > 1##.

Likes Rectifier
PeroK said:
What happened in your original post?

You started by assuming that ##x > 1## and looked for solutions. You found solutions when ##x > -4##. This looked strange but it was actually quite logical. What you had was:

##x > 1## and ##x > -4##

Which, logically, is simply ##x > 1##.

There's something else that might have happened in a different problem. You might have got something like:

##x > 1## and ##x < -2##

Again, that is not a problem, but would tell you that there are no solutions for ##x > 1##.

Oh okay, thank you for the explanation! But why do I choose x>1 and not x > -4? I suspect that the answer is trivial.

Rectifier said:
Oh okay, thank you for the explanation! But why do I choose x>1 and not x > -4? I suspect that the answer is trivial.

Which numbers satisfy both equations?

Likes Rectifier
PeroK said:
Which numbers satisfy both equations?
x > 1. So I should basically take the one with the smallest common solution set?

Rectifier said:
x > 1. So I should basically take the one with the smallest common solution set?

Yes, but best to understand the logic. Here's the full logic of your original post:

##(x > 1 \ AND \ x> -4) \ OR \ (x < 1 \ AND \ x < -4)##

##(x > 1) \ OR \ (x < -4)##

So, now I'm going to slightly correct your overall solution:

Rectifier said:
x>1 and x<-4

Perhaps ##x > 1## or ##x < -4## is better!

If you ever do some computer programming, this sort of logical thinking can be quite useful!

Likes Rectifier
Thank you for your help. I will take try to understand that approach a bit later today. Thank you for your help once more.

Rectifier said:
x>1 and x<-4

PeroK said:
Perhaps ##x > 1## or ##x < -4## is better!

If you ever do some computer programming, this sort of logical thinking can be quite useful!

The problem with x > 1 AND x < -4 is that x can't simultaneously be larger than 1 and smaller than -4. There are no numbers that satisfy both inequalities. That's why PeroK's version is better.

Likes Rectifier
Mark44 said:
The problem with x > 1 AND x < -4 is that x can't simultaneously be larger than 1 and smaller than -4. There are no numbers that satisfy both inequalities. That's why PeroK's version is better.

Thank you for the clarification :)

Rectifier said:
Maybe that's not the best way to look at it.

Case 1 holds only for x > 1. No matter what the result you get for this case, in this problem you got x > -4, that result is only good for x > 1.

Case 2 holds only for x < 1. No matter what the result you get for this case, in this problem you got x < -4, that result is only good for x < 1.

In the end, it's more like the intersection. Well, I suppose that is the smallest common set for each case.

Another way is to solve is graphically

let ## f(x)= \frac{x+4}{x-1} \ ##
find f'(x) you will see that f'(x)always negative wherever defined
Hence f(x) is Monotonically decreasing wherever defined

you can easily draw a rough sketch of the graph using that the vertical asymptote is x=1 and root of f(x)=0 is x=-4.

you will find that f(x)>0 for x<-4 U x>1

Sahil Kukreja said:
Another way is to solve is graphically

let ## f(x)= \frac{x+4}{x-1} \ ##
find f'(x) you will see that f'(x)always negative wherever defined
This thread was posted in the Precalculus section, so it's very likely that the poster will not know what f'(x) means.
Sahil Kukreja said:
Hence f(x) is Monotonically decreasing wherever defined

you can easily draw a rough sketch of the graph using that the vertical asymptote is x=1 and root of f(x)=0 is x=-4.

you will find that f(x)>0 for x<-4 U x>1

1. What is "inequality without factor table"?

"Inequality without factor table" refers to a method used in math to solve inequalities without using a factor table. This method involves graphing the inequality on a number line and using different techniques to determine the solution.

2. How is "inequality without factor table" different from other methods?

The main difference between "inequality without factor table" and other methods is that it does not require the use of a factor table. This makes it a more efficient and quicker way to solve inequalities.

3. What are some advantages of using "inequality without factor table"?

One advantage of using "inequality without factor table" is that it allows for a visual representation of the inequality, making it easier to understand and solve. Additionally, it can be used for a wide range of inequalities, including those with variables and fractions.

4. Are there any limitations to using "inequality without factor table"?

While "inequality without factor table" is a useful method, it does have some limitations. It may not be the most efficient method for complex or multi-variable inequalities, and it may not work for all types of inequalities.

5. How can I learn more about "inequality without factor table"?

There are various online resources and textbooks available that provide detailed explanations and examples of "inequality without factor table". You can also consult with a math teacher or tutor for further guidance and practice.