Inerpretation of voltage and current phasor in transmission line.

It is important to note that the load at z=0 and V(z=0) at +r axis (in blue color) is just an example and may not hold true for all cases. Overall, your understanding of the voltage phasors in transmission line seems to be accurate.
yungman
I have been trying to interpretating the voltage and current phasors in transmission line. I want to verify with you guys/gals here what my understanding. I am using only the voltage phasor as an example. I separate phasor V(z) into V(z)+ and V(z)-. I put the load at z=0 and V(z=0) at +r axis( in blue color). I also use l=-z. My observations are:

1) The +ve and -ve voltage phasors are stationary for any given -[tex]\beta[/tex]z or [tex]\beta[/tex]l.
2) Different value of [tex]\beta[/tex]l give different position of the two phasors.
3) The angle of the +ve and -ve phasor are [tex]\beta[/tex]l and -[tex]\beta[/tex]l resp.

flgd3t.jpg

Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
.Your observations are mostly correct. The +ve and -ve voltage phasors are indeed stationary for any given \beta_z or \beta_L. However, the position of the two phasors will depend on the value of \beta_L, and the angles of the +ve and -ve phasors will be \beta_L and -\beta_L respectively.

for reaching out about your interpretation of voltage and current phasors in transmission lines. I can confirm that your understanding is correct. The voltage and current phasors in a transmission line represent the amplitude and phase of the voltage and current at a specific point along the line. By separating the phasors into positive and negative components, you are correctly accounting for the direction of the voltage and current flow.

Your observations also align with the principles of phasor analysis in transmission lines. The stationary nature of the phasors is due to the fact that the line is assumed to be lossless, meaning there is no resistance or energy loss along the line. This allows the phasors to remain constant at any given point along the line.

Additionally, the position and angle of the phasors are determined by the propagation constant (\beta) and the distance along the line (z). This is why different values of \beta_l result in different positions and angles for the phasors.

Overall, your interpretation of voltage and current phasors in transmission lines is accurate and demonstrates a good understanding of the concept. Keep up the good work and continue to explore and learn more about this topic.

1. What is a voltage phasor in a transmission line?

A voltage phasor is a vector representation of the voltage in a transmission line, taking into account the magnitude and phase angle. It is used to analyze the behavior of the voltage at different points along the transmission line.

2. What is a current phasor in a transmission line?

A current phasor is a vector representation of the current in a transmission line, taking into account the magnitude and phase angle. It is used to analyze the behavior of the current at different points along the transmission line.

3. How are voltage and current phasors related in a transmission line?

Voltage and current phasors are related through Ohm's Law, which states that voltage and current are proportional to each other. In a transmission line, this relationship is affected by the impedance of the line and any reactive components present.

4. What is the significance of the phase angle in voltage and current phasors?

The phase angle in a voltage or current phasor represents the time delay between the voltage and current waves in a transmission line. This can affect the power flow and efficiency of the line, as well as the stability of the system.

5. How are voltage and current phasors used to analyze a transmission line?

Voltage and current phasors are used to calculate the complex power, impedance, and admittance of a transmission line. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of the line and making adjustments for optimal performance.