Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inert Gas Crystals

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    I am in search of physical properties of inert gas crystals ( such as colour,lustre,etc). I could get only the melting point.

Specifically, i want for Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon which are fcc.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

I looked at various sources and could find the following which were most comprehensive.

Richard E. Barrans Jr.
    Argonne National Laboratory

fcc in solid form
    Melting Pt: 24.703K -248.447°C -415.205°F

Melting Pt: 83.96K -189.19°C -308.54°F

Melting Pt: 115.93K -157.22°C -251°F

Melting Pt: 161.5K -111.7°C -169.1°F

Since the gases are colorless as gas, unless in an electrical discharge, i.e. ionized, they presumably would be colorless as a solid.

Possibly Praxair or BOC might have the properties if they supply those gases.

I don't know if anyone does solid noble gases.
  4. Sep 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks, Astronuc for those links !

I am doing a project to find out the Bulk Modulus and Energy variation of Inert Gas Crystals using Lennard-Jones Potential . So wanted to quote some simple properties of inert gas crystals in the introduction part.

all at 0 Kelvin . Now i have got the value for cell constant ( lenght of the crystal cube ) at 0K and 0 pressure and cohsive energy at 0 k and 1 atm, that is what is itching me right now.

In charles kittel he has given the value of cell constant extrapolated at 0K and 0 Presure and in oneother book by stephen eliot has the value at 4 K. I want things at 0 K , so that there are no thermal vibrations and it remains simple.

I need cell constant at 0 K and 1 atm if given in any other solid state book or on net or in any data book.
  5. Sep 12, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you tried looking in the CRC Handbook?

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

Data at 0 K might be a challenge. That is pretty esoteric.

I was also thinking that if it is colorless, and the electron shells are filled (noble gas), then the solid should be pretty transparent.

You might find the data in a CRC book - Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - as ZapperZ suggested. If you don't have access to one, I can look, but you should perhaps find it in a library, or Chemistry or Physics department.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?