1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia and momentum

1. Nov 22, 2006 #1
    Are they the same thing?
    momentum = p = mv

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2006 #2
    Inertia is more like m

4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    Interia has no numerical value unlike momentum. It's just a property of an object based on its mass.

5. Nov 23, 2006 #4
    Ok, that's what I thought. But then, how would you define momentum? (in words)

6. Nov 23, 2006 #5
    "momentum is the measure of inertia "
    and inertia is the property of the system or the object to resist a change in its state i.e either the state of motion or of rest

7. Nov 23, 2006 #6
    Inertia is unchanging whereas momentum can be changing. (for all classical approx.)

momentum is concerned with moving things.

8. Nov 23, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Inertia is related to mass. Momentum is related to mass and speed (as the equation shows).

9. Nov 23, 2006 #8
    Virtual said momentum is the measure of inertia.
    Then, velocity must be part of inertia. I think it makes sense since the faster the object is going, the harder it is to change its condition...am I right?

10. Nov 23, 2006 #9
    I wouldn't equate inertia with momentum. It's just as hard to stop a fast object as it is, after stopping it, to then speed the object back up again, however the stationary object has infinitely less momentum.

Perhaps a formal definition for inertia (or moment of inertia) should be the force (or torque) with which an object resists a change in its velocity (or in its angular velocity). Consequently, the SI unit for inertia would be kg (or, er, kgm^2/rad).

11. Nov 23, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Virtual was wrong to say that because....
    No, you are clearly not right as f=ma doesn't say anything about velocity, does it? If it got harder to change velocity when speed was higher, those terms should appear in that equation.

(caveat: relativity not needed here)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook