1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia in 3d

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula you attached appears to calculate the second moment of area of a general polygon, using the (x,y) coordinates of the vertices.

You'll have to be more specific about what you mean by "calculat(ing) inertia in 3d".

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    the moment of inertia in 3d is it the same for 2d?

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends.

The second moment of area is sometimes referred to as the moment of inertia. This is a property of plane figures.

The mass moment of inertia for 3-D bodies determines how easy or how difficult it is to accelerate a body in rotation.

As I asked before, which of these two properties do you wish to calculate in 3-D?

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    so there is second moment of inertia and moment of inertia I didn't knew that :/
    of course I'm talking about second moment of inertia in 3d, for different shapes...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. Sep 18, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you have confused things.

1. There is a second moment of area for plane shapes, which is also referred to as a moment of inertia. The second moment of area has units of L4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_moments_of_inertia

2. There is a mass moment of inertia for 3-D bodies, which has units of ML2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook