Inertia: Why Is It Measured in Meters to the Fourth Power?

In summary, inertia moments are quantities that describe the resistance of an object to a change in its state of motion.
Marco884
Hello! :) ..Can you tell me why when I counting inertia the result must by in meters to the fourth power ?!
Why meters to the fourth power ?!. Is there analogical explanation?!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Marco884 said:
Hello! :) ..Can you tell me why when I counting inertia the result must by in meters to the fourth power ?!
Why meters to the fourth power ?!. Is there analogical explanation?!
You are doing the same operation that you are doing for the "classical inertia moment", mass x distance^2 (Kg m^2), but instead of the mass you are using the area. the logical explanation is that when you are calculating a some sort of geometrical moments you are, always, multiplying a quantity x distance^2 .

On Wikipedia , I found this information...Soo if we do not have the mass we need to
multiply distance in meters in each case of inertia ? :))

https://zapodaj.net/57ca0a777bb62.png.html

I think you are getting confused by the measure unit. The right expression of a moment (mathematic) is
thishttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(mathematics).
You can apply this definition because you have already applied the continuous geometrical model (little mass dots forming your body) . If you thereat your body as a statistical distribution of point you can definitely apply the maths on the link (
Your model could also be a perfect distribution).
Finally you can calculate every moment quantity you want, mass, distant (static moment), area (inertia moment), volume(solid moment)... They tell you info about distribution, so about your body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Marco884
Really helped me this link, things were quite different than I thought but I still have smal questions :)

Last edited:
yes of course

Man I don't understand polish...

Hehe .. Static moments = Momenty statyczne
I guess you know the rest.. :)

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In other words, objects at rest tend to stay at rest, and objects in motion tend to stay in motion, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why is inertia measured in meters to the fourth power?

Inertia is measured in meters to the fourth power because it is directly related to an object's mass and distance from a reference point. The equation for inertia is I = mr^2, where m represents mass and r represents the distance from the object's center of mass to the reference point. Therefore, the units for inertia are meters squared multiplied by kilograms, which simplifies to meters to the fourth power.

3. How is inertia different from mass?

Inertia and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while inertia is a measure of how resistant an object is to changes in its state of motion. Mass is a scalar quantity, while inertia is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass and its distance from a reference point.

4. What factors affect an object's inertia?

An object's inertia is affected by its mass and its distance from a reference point. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia. Similarly, the farther an object is from a reference point, the greater its inertia. Inertia can also be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance, which can change an object's state of motion.

5. How does inertia relate to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Inertia is directly related to Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an object with a greater inertia will require a greater force to change its state of motion, while an object with a smaller inertia will require less force to change its state of motion.