1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia Moment

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    Hi..
    I've got a problem about moment inertia. I don't understand about looking the distance of centroid (y). I am still confucing about the formula of "y" in Moment Inertia. Can you shows me about the formula of y or if any thread for this before, I am glad to see it too.Thanx's for your help.. :smile:
    I still don't know how to find put y =30 and 35

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Known : You can see the dimension and the picture in my attachment
    Asking: How is to calculate y ?? Is the formula same to all geometry??

2. Relevant equations
    I = y dA

3. The attempt at a solution
    Cross section
    Total Area: - A =>40*60=2400
    - y => 30 Why is it 30???
    - Ay =>72000
    Inside Area:-A=> -20*30=-600
    -y =>35 Why is it 35???
    - Ay => -21000
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Ricky, we can't see the picture until one of the tutors comes on line to release it.
    If you are in a hurry, you could post the picture to photobucket.com and give us a link.

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
  5. Feb 12, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Apparently you want the moment about the center of mass.

In which case you need to determine the center of mass (centroid point) and then calculate the I on the basis of the double integral over the distribution of mass about that point.

You can also exploit the symmetry that the objects present, if you consider that they can be broken up into 4 rectangles, and use the parallel axis theorem to determine the sum of the system. (Since you have some asymmetry you may need to do it in steps.)

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5
    Hmm..
    I knows about it, but I just don't knows how to calculate the distance from center of mass to the model. I meant from this formula "I = y dA." How is to calculate "y"?? Becauses I don't have some information about it. How to find out the distance in I,T,U or not simetric model?? I knows that to find out "I", I should divide the model into 2-3 section, but after that how to calculate the "y" before I apply it into the moment Inertia formula (I = y dA)??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook