Inertia of a Bowling Pin: Can We Predict Its Complex Motion After Impact?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a bowling pin is around the horizontal axis. The pin height is 38.1 cm, and the pin mass center height is 14.68m.
ddoucet
Hi,

I need to know the moment of inertia of a bowling pin. I'd like to know how to calculate it. I would prefer an approximation formula according to the mass of the pin instead of an integration method.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia about what axis?

Sorry about this lack of precision : around the horizontal axis.

Where does the axis intersect with the pin? Any formula you develop here will be an approximation since the bowling pin has such an irregular shape that cannot be dimensionally defined (like, for example, a sphere can). If you know the length of the pin, you can assume it is a uniform horizontal bar, at which point you can use the formula for that, or derive it using calculus.

The pin height = 38.1 cm
The pin mass center height : 14.68m

I think that it's possible to have a very good approximation of the bowling pin volume by using few spheres. In my application, the pins are represented by 6 spheres.

Any idea about an integration method that I could use ?

Wouldn't using the formula for a uniform bar be a better approximation? I forget exactly what the formula is, but you can find that online or in a book somewhere.

I'm now using the moment of inertia of a cylinder on it's transversal axis :

I = 1/12 * mh^2 + 1/4 * mr^2

But since the mass of a pin is less uniformly dispersed than the one of a cylinder, I would have think that it's inertia would be lower.

Why not try three linked cylinders, or more.That is, build a bowling pin with cylinders -- that, in fact, is one way of simulating the z integral -- if z is the axis of symmetry. And, don't forget the other moments.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

please help

Hi,
Can anyone explain whole physics of falling of ppin due to bowl - i mean forces on pins ,its rotations etc..
Please
Thanx in advance
-Rajni

rajni0003 said:
Hi,
Can anyone explain whole physics of falling of ppin due to bowl - i mean forces on pins ,its rotations etc..
Please
Thanx in advance
-Rajni

That's a complicated system! Here's a few factors I can think of. The pin till tip over when the force of impact on the pin, acting through the center of mass of the pin, displaces the center of mass over the edge of the base that's in contact with the alley. Given the approximate moment of inertia, that's easy enough to calculate. but the impact doesn't just go into that tipping. The pin slides horizontally when it's hit, and that depends on the energy of the impact, which dissipates some of that energy, and the coefficient of friction with the waxed alley. The pin may also rotate about it's vertical axis, also dissipating some of the impact energy and changing it's interaction with the alley from sliding to rolling friction. This will be determined by the direction of the ball's (or originally impacting other pin) travel, if the angle between point of contact and the pin's center of mass is not in line with the impactor's direction. And most importantly, the pin may be impacted by other pins, which might either add to or subtract from the motion imparted to it originally. Given the complex shape of the pin, other pins can hit it anywhere, but you can presume the ball can only contact a vertical pin at a certain height. Of course,if that pin was partially tipped by a prior collission, the ball can contact it in a broader region.

This all goes to defy a clear real world analysis. Perhaps you'd be better off modeling table tennis? :-)

What is the definition of inertia?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes an object's resistance to change in motion. It is the tendency of an object to maintain its current state of motion, whether at rest or in motion.

How does inertia relate to bowling pins?

Inertia is the reason why bowling pins stay in motion after being struck by a bowling ball. The pins' inertia causes them to resist changes in motion and maintain their position until another force acts upon them.

What factors affect the inertia of a bowling pin?

The mass and shape of a bowling pin are the two main factors that affect its inertia. A heavier bowling pin will have more inertia, while a narrower and taller pin will have less inertia than a wider and shorter pin.

Why do bowling pins have a higher inertia than other objects?

Bowling pins are designed with a higher inertia to withstand the impact of a bowling ball and prevent them from falling over too easily. This makes the game more challenging and adds an element of skill for players to aim and knock down the pins.

Can the inertia of a bowling pin be changed?

Yes, the inertia of a bowling pin can be changed by altering its mass or shape. For example, using a lighter or heavier bowling pin, or changing its dimensions, can affect its inertia and make the game easier or more difficult for players.