Solving Inertia of a Record Homework

• Thread starter pucr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, to find the moment of inertia of the record dropped onto a rotating turntable, you can use the formula for rotational kinetic energy, where the initial moment of inertia is known and the final moment of inertia is modified by the added mass of the record. From there, you can solve for the moment of inertia of the record by setting the new angular velocity equal to the known final angular velocity of the turntable and record combined. This approach does not require calculating torque or friction.
pucr

Homework Statement

A turntable for playing records has a moment of inertia of 5.2 kgm^2 and is rotating with an angular velocity of 36 rpm. A record, initially at rest is dropped straight down onto the rotating turntable. The record and turntable rotate together at 33 rpm. Find the moment of the inertia of the record.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega_{i} = \frac{6\pi}{5} \frac{rad}{sec}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_{f} = \frac{11\pi}{10} \frac{rad}{sec}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have a clue about how to solve this. It's a problem on a practice exam, not homework. I thought I could solve it with torque, but then there is no coefficient of friction to calculate force.
The only thing I can think to do is to calculate the difference in kinetic energy but that didn't give me the right answer.
If someone could give me some direction that would be amazing. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotational Kinetic Energy looks to be the key.

You have something rotating with a known I*ω2/2

And you are given a modified I*ω2/2 (the added mass of the record - distributed in the same manner as the turntable)
that yields a new I*ω2/2 where they give you the new ω.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of inertia and how it relates to rotational motion. Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion, and in rotational motion, it is related to the object's moment of inertia.

In this problem, we are given the moment of inertia of the turntable (5.2 kgm^2) and the initial and final angular velocities (36 rpm and 33 rpm). We can use the equation for conservation of angular momentum to find the moment of inertia of the record.

Angular momentum (L) is defined as the product of moment of inertia (I) and angular velocity (\omega). Mathematically, L = I\omega. Since angular momentum is conserved, we can equate the initial and final angular momenta of the turntable and the record.

For the turntable, the initial angular momentum is given by L_i = I_{turntable}\omega_{i} and the final angular momentum is given by L_f = I_{turntable}\omega_{f}. For the record, the initial angular momentum is zero (since it is initially at rest) and the final angular momentum is given by L_f = I_{record}\omega_{f}.

Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for I_{record}, we get I_{record} = \frac{I_{turntable}\omega_{i}}{\omega_{f}}. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get I_{record} = \frac{5.2 kgm^2 \times \frac{6\pi}{5} \frac{rad}{sec}}{\frac{11\pi}{10} \frac{rad}{sec}} = 2.4 kgm^2.

Therefore, the moment of inertia of the record is 2.4 kgm^2. This approach uses the concept of conservation of angular momentum, which is applicable in situations where there are no external torques acting on the system.

1. What is inertia and why is it important to understand in relation to records?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In relation to records, it is important to understand because records, whether physical or digital, have inertia and can be difficult to change or move once they are in motion.

2. How can inertia affect the management of records?

Inertia can affect the management of records in several ways. It can lead to records being stored and managed inefficiently, making it difficult to access and use them when needed. It can also make it challenging to implement changes or updates to records management systems and processes.

3. What strategies can be used to overcome inertia when managing records?

Some strategies for overcoming inertia when managing records include setting clear goals and objectives, implementing effective communication and change management strategies, and regularly reviewing and updating records management processes to ensure they are meeting the needs of the organization.

4. How can technology be used to help solve the inertia of record homework?

Technology can play a significant role in solving the inertia of record homework. It can help automate recordkeeping processes, making it easier and more efficient to manage records. It can also provide tools for organizing and accessing records, as well as tracking and reporting on their use.

5. What are some potential consequences of not addressing the inertia of record homework?

If inertia of record homework is not addressed, it can result in inefficient record management, leading to difficulty in finding and accessing records when needed. This can also increase the risk of non-compliance with regulations and legal requirements, as well as potential loss or damage to important records.