Inertia of I Beam: Calculating Based on Dimensions W360 x 44

In summary, W360 X 44 refers to a metric wide beam with a nominal depth of 360 mm and a mass/length of 44. The provided PDF file contains all necessary geometric parameters and a moment of inertia for reference. The formula for calculating the moment of inertia is I = \frac{bh^{3}}{12}, but the parallel axis theorem should be applied to consider the different sections of the beam. It is important to understand the meaning of b and h in the formula, which can be found on the Wikipedia page for second moment of area.
Precursor
I need to find the inertia of an I beam given its dimensions W360 X 44.

I know that the formula is [tex]I = \frac{bh^{3}}{12}[/tex], but what do I plug in for b and h? I believe that I have to cut the I beam into 3 sections, the two flanges and the web. And 44 must be the width of the flange and web, but I don't know what 360 means.

Physics news on Phys.org
All I want to know is what does W360 X 44 mean?

See Page 29: http://www.nucoryamato.com/StaticData/catalog.pdf?currdate=7/7/2009+6:24:14+PM (PDF)

This is a metric beam. The W designates the beam as a wide beam; the 360 refers to the nominal depth of the beam in mm, and the 44 refers to the mass/length of the beam. You can use that .pdf file to find out all of the geometric parameters of the beam, and it also provides you with a moment of inertia to which you can compare your answer.

Also you're right that you have to consider the flanges and the web, but make sure to use the parallel axis theorem when considering the different sections.

The formula you listed is strictly valid for a rectangular cross-section about the horizontal axis so make sure you understand what b and h refer to (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area#Rectangular_cross_section )

The wikipedia page also has a walk-through of calculating the moment of inertia in case you have difficulties.

1. What is the definition of inertia for an I beam?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. In the case of an I beam, it is the resistance to changes in its rotation or bending when a force is applied.

2. How is the inertia of an I beam calculated?

The inertia of an I beam can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) x b x h^3, where b is the width of the beam and h is the height of the beam.

3. What is the significance of the dimensions W360 x 44 in calculating the inertia of an I beam?

The dimensions W360 x 44 refer to the width and height of the I beam, respectively. These dimensions are necessary in the calculation of inertia as they determine the shape and size of the beam.

4. How does the inertia of an I beam affect its strength?

The larger the inertia of an I beam, the greater its resistance to bending or rotation. Therefore, a beam with a higher inertia will have a higher strength and be able to support heavier loads without bending or breaking.

5. Can the inertia of an I beam be modified?

Yes, the inertia of an I beam can be modified by changing its dimensions. Increasing the width and height of the beam will result in a higher inertia and therefore a stronger beam. However, this may also affect the weight and cost of the beam.