1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia Question

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The full metal wheel of radius 30 cm, 300 kg of mass moment of inertia I = 1/2 (mr ^ 2) operating torque 50nm in time 1 min. Determine the angular acceleration, angular speed of wheel, revolutions per second, revolutions that the wheel makes to achieve this speed, kinetic energy.

2. Relevant equations

ω = 2∏/T, s=1/2(αt^2), Ek=(Iω^2)/2, I = 1/2 (mr ^ 2)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I can get ω, T=60sec, so ω=∏/30...

So I can get all of this using those few formulas, but in the end I get kinetic energy in mJ??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not get kinetic energy in Joules ?

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    I can get energy in Jules but then its very small number, but i dont get it why is a small number?

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The torque is acting for 1 minute; The given time of 1 minute is not the period of oscillation or rotation...

6. Apr 30, 2012 #5
    Okay. I got it! Now its Ek=7,5kJ

7. Apr 30, 2012 #6

gneill

Perhaps you should elaborate on your calculations; To me, 7.5 kJ doesn't look right.

8. Apr 30, 2012 #7
    M=F*r
    F=m*α
    α=ω/T
    Ek=(Iω^2)/2

9. Apr 30, 2012 #8

gneill

I see a collection of formulas, at least one of which is rather dubious, but no calculations. Can you show your numerical work and explain what the steps are that your taking?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook