1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia tensor for triangle

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the center of mass and inertia tensor at the CoM of the following triangle. Density of the triangle is [tex]\sigma(x,y)[/tex] = x and y=3-3/4x .

2. Relevant equations
    Find the inertia tensor at the origin (x,y,z) and apply the parallel axis theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been able to find the mass (which gave me 8 -correct me if I'm wrong-), the CoM and now I'm trying to find the inertia tensor. For the first component, I get something like:

I[tex]_{xx}[/tex]=[tex]\int^{4}_{0}[/tex][tex]\int^{3-3/4x}_{0}[/tex] [tex]xy^2 dx dy[/tex]

which gives me something like

which looks like a big monster and I don't feel like integrating that ! ;) Basically, I believe it's getting way too complicated to be the good answer. Any help on finding that inertia tensor would be greatly appreciated !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    Hi, i need help on the same problem. So if anyone can help it would be great. By the way, Keplini, which book is this problem from?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?