How to Calculate Moment of Inertia About Each Axis?

In summary: It's a bit of an archaic term, but it's the one that we use. In English, we would call it "angular momentum."In summary, to find the moment of inertia about any axis, you must find the product of inertia and spin.
Luminous Blob
I have just started learning about inertia tensors and am trying to do the problem in the attached document. I'm not sure how to calculate the moment of inertia about each axis. I would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me how it is done.

Attachments

• Moment of inertia.doc
    24 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so I'm assuming that you have a triangle in the z = 0 plane. You can use the x, y, and z -axes. The moment of inertia about any axis is the integral of:

ρ(r) r dr

where ρ(r) is the quasi-linear mass density (mass per incremental distance away from the axis) and r is the distance from the axis. Alternatively, you can use the parallel axis theorem.

In your attachment, it is clearly stated that you are to find the inertia tensor.
Hence, it is insufficient to find the moments of inertia, you must also find the products of inertia.
I will assume henceforth, that we are to find the inertial tensor with respect to the origin.

1. Spin and inertial tensor:
Let a point particle with mass [tex]\delta{m}[/tex] have distance [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] to the origin, and let the particle's velocity be [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]

The origin is at rest, so that we have:
[tex]\vec{v}=\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r}[/tex]

Hence, the spin of the particle about the origin is given by:
[tex]\delta\vec{S}=\vec{r}\times\delta{m}\vec{v}=
\vec{r}\times\delta{m}(\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r})=\delta{m}((\vec{r}\cdot\vec{r})\vec{\omega}-(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{\omega})\vec{r})[/tex]
by a common vector identity.
With index notation, we have:
[tex]\delta{S}_{i}=\delta{I}_{ij}\omega_{j},\delta{I}_{ij}=\delta{m}(r_{k}^{2}\delta_{ij}-r_{i}r_{j})[/tex]

where [tex]\delta_{ij}[/tex] is the Kronecker delta, [tex]1\leq{i,j,k}\leq3[/tex], and Einstein's summing convention has been adopted.

[tex]\delta{I}_{ij}[/tex] is the inertial tensor associated with the given particle.

Since we have a rigid body, the body's inertial tensor with respect to the origin, [tex]I_{ij}[/tex] is simply the sum of the point particles' associated
inertial tensors, i.e.,
[tex]I_{ij}=\int\delta{I}_{ij}[/tex]

Note in particular, that the diagonal elements i=j in the inertia tensor are simply the moments of inertia about the axes [tex]\vec{i}_{1},\vec{i}_{2},\vec{i}_{3}[/tex]

It is seen that the inertial tensor is symmetric; the off-diagonal elements are called products of inertia, and are, for example, important in wobbling/instability phenomena.

Calculations follow in the next post.

The figure is a triangle with vertices:
[tex]((0,0,0),(\frac{L}{2},L,0),(L,0,0))[/tex]

Any point [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] on the triangle may be written as:

[tex]\vec{r}(u,v)=((-\frac{L}{2},L,0)u+(L,0,0))v, 0\leq{u,v}\leq{1}[/tex]

Clearly, since [tex]z=r_{3}\equiv{0}[/tex], we only need to calculate:
[tex]I_{11},I_{22},I_{33},I_{21} (x=r_{1},y=r_{2})[/tex]

the particle mass satisfy [tex]\delta{m}=\rho{dA}[/tex], whereas the proper area element dA is given by:

[tex]dA=||\frac{\partial\vec{r}}{\partial{u}}\times\frac{\partial\vec{r}}{\partial{v}}||dudv[/tex]

This should give you the necessary info to solve the problem.

arildno,
Just out of curiosity, why are you calling the orbital angular momentum of a particle "spin?"

Oh dear, that's what we call it in Norwegian..

1. What is an Inertia Tensor problem?

The Inertia Tensor problem is a mathematical problem in physics that involves calculating the moment of inertia of a rigid body about a given axis or point. It is an important concept in mechanics and is used to describe the rotational motion of objects.

2. How is the Inertia Tensor calculated?

The Inertia Tensor is calculated using the mass distribution and the distance of each mass element from the axis of rotation. The formula for calculating the Inertia Tensor is I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the mass element to the axis of rotation and dm is the mass element.

3. What is the significance of the Inertia Tensor?

The Inertia Tensor is significant because it provides information about the rotational motion of a rigid body. It helps to determine how much force is needed to cause a change in the rotational motion of an object.

4. How is the Inertia Tensor represented?

The Inertia Tensor is typically represented as a 3x3 matrix in three-dimensional space. Each element in the matrix represents the moment of inertia of the object about a specific axis. The diagonal elements of the matrix represent the principal moments of inertia, while the off-diagonal elements represent the products of inertia.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Inertia Tensor?

The Inertia Tensor is used in various fields such as engineering, robotics, and aerospace to design and analyze the motion of objects. It is also used in sports equipment design, such as in the design of golf clubs and tennis rackets. In addition, the Inertia Tensor is important in understanding and predicting the stability of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes.