1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia tensor

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the relationship between the inertia tensor and the rotational inertia? How can a second-rank tensor describe the same thing as a scalar? Is their a formula to go between one and the other i.e. if I have an inertia tensor for a rigid body rotating about some axis, can I get the rational inertia of the body about that axis from that?

EDIT: I see. Please notice that the inertia tensor IS DEFINED WITH RESPECT TO A COORDINATE SYSTEM while a moment of inertia IS DEFINED WITH RESPECT TO AN AXIS. In fact, the inertia tensor contains the information about the rotational inertias about the 3 axes of the coordinate with respect to which it is defined. These are simply the diagonals. Please confirm this.
    EDIT EDIT: If I have an inertia tensor with respect to a coordinate system with axes [tex]\hat{i},\hat{j},\hat{k}[/tex], how do you get the moment of inertia about an axis that is not equal to one of [tex]\hat{i},\hat{j},\hat{k}[/tex]?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Are you asking about is how to diagonalize the inertia tensor to use principle axes or asking about Steiner's parallel axis theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?