1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertia tensors (moment of inertia) code

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    inertia tensors (moment of inertia) for a game

Hello, physics gurus!

I'm trying to write a little 2D game that uses physics for more dynamism. Part of this game involves shapes bouncing around and reacting to forces, each other, etc. Each shape that can interact is a set of one or more closed concave line loops. (Complex line loops are not allowed.) Each set has an assigned mass and center. What I would like to do is develop an algorithm in C or C++ to calculate the inertia tensor for any of these shapes. I can decompose the shapes into a set of non-overlapping triangles, if that helps. I already have special cases for circles and rectangles who's centers are in the middle of the mass... but I would feel much better if I had a general solution. Sadly I failed my introductory level calculus class and I'm under a bit of a deadline. :yuck:

If anyone of you miracle workers o:) can help me I would be eternally grateful. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jun 1, 2005 #3
    I've seen this before and a few other googles (that's how i found the special case info for rectangles and circles) but I don't understand how to apply this to my situation. Can you please elaborate?

5. Jun 2, 2005 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

You know what is the inertia tensor?? and how to work with a matrix in C/C++?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?