What is the Source of Inertia?

In summary, the force felt by an observer while accelerating is caused by a change in velocity, whether it be in speed or direction. The source of inertia is still unknown, but one theory is that it is caused by the interaction of the Higgs particle and the Higgs field.
zepp0814
Hi, so i have a fairly good understanding of most of the concepts relating to inertia. but my question is what is the force felt by the observer while accelerating. for example the force gravity can be described as space bending into shapes around the body of mass, the other can be described as the exchange of quantum particles and other such as centripetal force as simply felt because we want to be traveling in a straight. so once again what is the causes the force of inertia.

Physics news on Phys.org
zepp0814 said:
Hi, so i have a fairly good understanding of most of the concepts relating to inertia.

And what exactly have you understood here?

Zz.

zepp0814 said:
Hi, so i have a fairly good understanding of most of the concepts relating to inertia. but my question is what is the force felt by the observer while accelerating. for example the force gravity can be described as space bending into shapes around the body of mass, the other can be described as the exchange of quantum particles and other such as centripetal force as simply felt because we want to be traveling in a straight. so once again what is the causes the force of inertia.
There is no "force of inertia". If you are sitting in a car that accelerates from 0 to 60 mph, I presume that you will want to accelerate with it! And that requires that a force be applied to you. If you are really concerned about "quantum particles" then it is a matter of electro-magnetic forces. The electrons in the seat push against the electrons in your body.

and other such as centripetal force as simply felt because we want to be traveling in a straight

Acceleration is defined as a change in velocity. Velocity has components speed and direction. If you change either the speed or the direction then you change your velocity and that means you are accelerating. So the force you feel when rotating is also a "force felt by the observer while accelerating".

Perhaps what you are really asking is "What gives objects mass"?

The short answer is we don't know. One theory is that it's caused by the Higgs particle interacting with the Higgs field.

or perhaps you wan to know the source of inertia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia#Source_of_inertia

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is inertia measured?

Inertia is measured by an object's mass. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia will be.

3. Why do objects have inertia?

Inertia is a fundamental property of matter and is a result of Newton's first law of motion. All objects have mass, and mass is what gives objects inertia.

4. What is the origin of inertia?

The origin of inertia can be traced back to the principle of conservation of energy and momentum. Inertia is a result of the fact that objects have a tendency to maintain their state of motion.

5. How does inertia affect objects in space?

In space, where there is little to no external forces acting on objects, inertia plays a crucial role in determining an object's motion. Objects in space will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.