Inertial and gravitational mass

• B
  • Thread starter Geo
  • Start date
kimbyd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I don't follow the argument at all. The anthropic principle is a philsophical principle, not a scientific one:
This is a meaningless statement. You might as well state that equations are mathematical statements, not scientific ones.

There are reasonable reasons to object to some uses of the anthropic principle. This is not one of them.

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
This is a meaningless statement. You might as well state that equations are mathematical statements, not scientific ones.

There are reasonable reasons to object to some uses of the anthropic principle. This is not one of them.
At one time philsophical disucssions were banned on PF. I rechecked this point with the current PF global guidelines, apparently they may be slightly looser than I recall them being in the past.

Philosophical discussions are permitted only at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal
I see you are a Science Advisor. Does applying the anthropic principle in this situation make any sense at all to you? Philosophy isn't my field, but this discussion does not seem like the sort of philosophical discussion that we want on PF.

What explanatory or predictive power in terms of physics and theories about physics does the anthropic principle bring to the table here?

This thread has turned, per the OP, from one about completeness of theories to one about things that bother scientists. The anthropic principle makes some scientists feel less bothered by fine tuning.

I don’t think that it merits an in-depth discussion either way.