Is Charge Equivalent to Inertial Mass?

In summary: Inertial and gravitational mass are the same because they both cause an object to follow a straight line in a curved spacetime.
nojustay
I've read about the equivalence between inertial mass and gravitational mass. But i can't undestand why is gravity more special then other kinds of force. I mean, why isn't charge equivalent to inertial mass? After all charge plays the same kind of role of gravitational mass in another context.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Why is gravity special?" is one of the open questions in physics.
In General Relativity, it is not surprising that the two masses are identical - it is equivalent to the statement "things fly in straight lines in curved spacetime". But you can ask why gravity can be expressed that way, and the other interactions cannot, and then we don't have an answer.

Thanks for the answer.

nojustay said:
I mean, why isn't charge equivalent to inertial mass?

Maybe you could clarify your question, since charge and mass are two different things.

nojustay said:
I mean, why isn't charge equivalent to inertial mass? After all charge plays the same kind of role of gravitational mass in another context.
A proton and a positron in a uniform gravitational field will accelerate the same. A proton and a positron in a uniform electric field will not accelerate the same. Charge is not equivalent to inertial mass.

A proton and a positron in a uniform electric field will not accelerate the same. Charge is not equivalent to inertial mass.

That's the point. Is there a reason for this behaviour? Why do two different objects accelerate the same with gravity? Is there a fundamental reason (coming from some kind of theory) or is that to be taken as granted from observation?

Last edited:
pixel said:
Maybe you could clarify your question, since charge and mass are two different things.
In Newtonian mechanics, there is no a priori reason for inertial and gravitational mass to be the same either. I believe the question is why they are the same but charge is not.

Yeah, that what I meant.

nojustay said:
Yeah, that what I meant.
@mfb gave an appropriate answer to this in post #2.

nojustay said:
That's the point. Is there a reason for this behaviour? Why do two different objects accelerate the same with gravity? Is there a fundamental reason (coming from some kind of theory) or is that to be taken as granted from observation?
To make a more precise answer, we noticed that the two masses seem to be the same, and General Relativity was developed to explain it. As a side product, it explained and correctly predicted many other things.
The reason GR gives is that a straight path is the same thing, whether it's followed by a car, a pedestrian, or an apple.

1. What is the difference between inertial mass and charge?

Inertial mass refers to the resistance an object has to a change in its state of motion, while charge refers to the property of matter that causes it to experience electrical and magnetic forces.

2. How are inertial mass and charge measured?

Inertial mass is typically measured using a balance scale, while charge is measured using an instrument called an electrometer.

3. How are inertial mass and charge related?

There is no direct relationship between inertial mass and charge. However, they are both intrinsic properties of matter and can affect each other in certain situations, such as in electromagnetism.

4. Can inertial mass and charge be changed?

Inertial mass is an inherent property of matter and cannot be changed. Charge, on the other hand, can be changed through various processes, such as rubbing two objects together to create static electricity.

5. How do inertial mass and charge play a role in everyday life?

Inertial mass plays a role in determining how much force is needed to move an object, while charge is responsible for many everyday phenomena such as electricity, lightning, and magnetism.