Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Inertial mass and charge

1. Jun 30, 2017 #1
    I've read about the equivalence between inertial mass and gravitational mass. But i can't undestand why is gravity more special then other kinds of force. I mean, why isn't charge equivalent to inertial mass? After all charge plays the same kind of role of gravitational mass in another context.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"Why is gravity special?" is one of the open questions in physics.
    In General Relativity, it is not surprising that the two masses are identical - it is equivalent to the statement "things fly in straight lines in curved spacetime". But you can ask why gravity can be expressed that way, and the other interactions cannot, and then we don't have an answer.

4. Jun 30, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the answer.

5. Jun 30, 2017 #4
    Maybe you could clarify your question, since charge and mass are two different things.

6. Jun 30, 2017 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

A proton and a positron in a uniform gravitational field will accelerate the same. A proton and a positron in a uniform electric field will not accelerate the same. Charge is not equivalent to inertial mass.

7. Jul 1, 2017 #6
    That's the point. Is there a reason for this behaviour? Why do two different objects accelerate the same with gravity? Is there a fundamental reason (coming from some kind of theory) or is that to be taken as granted from observation?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  8. Jul 1, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In Newtonian mechanics, there is no a priori reason for inertial and gravitational mass to be the same either. I believe the question is why they are the same but charge is not.

9. Jul 1, 2017 #8
    Yeah, that what I meant.

10. Jul 1, 2017 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@mfb gave an appropriate answer to this in post #2.

11. Jul 1, 2017 #10
    To make a more precise answer, we noticed that the two masses seem to be the same, and General Relativity was developed to explain it. As a side product, it explained and correctly predicted many other things.
    The reason GR gives is that a straight path is the same thing, whether it's followed by a car, a pedestrian, or an apple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted