1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertial referance frames

1. Jan 16, 2006 #1
    when I read what inertial frames I understand and it make sense but unfortunately when I try to apply what I understood on that question ,I cant illustrate these frames. Please help.

question is that: I am standing on a level floor at the origine of an inertial frame ( S) and kick a frictionles puck due north across the floor.
    a) write down x and y coordinates of the puck as functions of time as seen from my inertial frame .
    (if I take x and y axes pointing east and north) than I can say that since the net forces on the puck is 0 , the puck will have a constant velosity toward north.
    ( x,Y ) = ( 0, vot)
    b) now consider more observers,the first at rest in a frame (S')that travels constant velocity v due east relative to (S),the second at rest in a frame (S'') that travels with constant acceleration due east relative to (S). Find the ( x`,y`) of the puck and describe the puck`s path as seen from (S').
    c) do the same for (S'') which of the frames is inertial ? ( which I know if the frame is accelerating then it is not inertial)

( I think I solved the problem just after I wrote here. )
    thanks

How can I do that ? Is thare any resources you know that I can read and maybe see some similar examples ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you looked into the Kinematics chapter of Resnick & Halliday ?

There's a nice Java applet here : http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/viewtopic.php?t=227

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?