1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertial reference frames

1. Jun 10, 2004 #1
    I can make a local inertial reference frame in a gravitational field by creating a frame that is small but close to the source of curvature of space-time.
    Alternatively I can make a local inertial reference frame by creating a frame that is large but a long distance from the source of curvature of space-time.
    If the reference frame has a mass, is there a quantitative relationship in general relativity between the mass/size of the frame and its distance from the source of curvature of space-time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If the reference frame has a mass, then it IS a source of curvature, and cannot be separated from that.

4. Jun 11, 2004 #3
    Not one that is readily available but if one is ambitious it can be calculated. I'm not that ambitious though. :-)

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?