1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inertial tensor calculation

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1
    my homework problem deals w/ rotation in x-y plane. so the tensor is only 2d. inertial tensor still seems obscure to me... my question for now is purely mathematical. assuming the basis are (x,y). I calculated the components of I, is the following correct?
    [tex]I_{xx} = m_i y_{i}^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]I_{yy} = m_i x_{i}^{2} [/tex]
    [tex]I_{xy} = I_{yx} = - m_i x_i y_i [/tex]

for some reason my professor wrote...
    [tex]I_{xx} = m_i x_{i}^{2} [/tex]
    and i'm pretty sure its not right
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're fine (besides the missing summation symbols). Think of it this way: if you are rotating about the x-axis, would your inertia depend on where you are along the x-axis or how far away you are from the x-axis.
  4. Apr 20, 2005 #3
    what about the off diagonal terms? are they moments about x=y line?... also do you need orthogonal basis for calculating inertial tensor? from the general definition it doesn't look like a requirement.
  5. Apr 20, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I don't have a good analogy in mind for the products of inertia; maybe someone else reading the thread can help us out. I guess it comes into play when you have rotation that is not along one of the principal axes.
    I suppose you could calculate the inertial tensor using a different basis, but wouldn't that just complicate the algebra(and unnecessarily at that)? I'm sorry if I haven't been much help.
  6. Apr 21, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The full tensor (diagonal and off diagonal terms) is important for rotations about any axis through the origin in the x.y plane, not just the y = x line. The tensor product of I with the angular velocity vector gives the angular momentum vector. When the angular velocity vector is along the x or y axes, the off diagonal terms do not contribute.
  7. Apr 21, 2005 #6
    I can see why angular momentum is in same direction as angular velocity if object rotates about principal axes only. My textbook derives the inertia tensor through rotational kinetic energy calculation. I can see that it relates energy w/ velocity... but i don't understand in what way products of inertia describe the relationship... perhaps i just need to do some problems and see how it all works out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?