Inetgral mean for a function of 2 variables

In summary, the integral mean for a function of 2 variables is the average value of the function over a given area on a 2-dimensional plane. It is calculated by finding the double integral of the function over the region and dividing it by the area of the region. This concept has various real-world applications, but it has limitations as it assumes the function is constant over the given area and only applies to continuous functions. Integral mean can also be negative if the function has negative values over the region.
Methavix

Homework Statement

I have a function of two variables. I want to yield the integral mean over these 2 variables.
In particular, the function is a vector (of constant length v0) coming out from a only point that can have all direction possible in a semi-space. So if i draw all vectors i draw a semi-sphere of radius v0. I call alpha one angle and beta the other one, and both of them are variable between 0 and pi.

2. The attempt at a solution

If a consider just a 2-dimension space i have the solution

....pi
..../
v = (1/pi) * | v0*sin(alpha)*d(alpha) = (2/pi)*v0
.../

but in the 3-D space? which is the mean vector? (that is horizontal, i mean with alpha=beta=0).

thanks
Luca

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Luca,

Thank you for your post. To find the integral mean over two variables, you can use the formula:

mean = (1/A) * ∫∫ f(x,y) dxdy

where A is the area of the region over which the mean is being taken and f(x,y) is the function of two variables.

In your case, the region is a semi-sphere of radius v0, which has an area of 2πv0^2. The function is a vector of constant length v0, so we can rewrite the integral as:

mean = (1/2πv0^2) * ∫∫ v0 sin(α) dαdβ

To solve this integral, we can use the fact that the integral of sin(α) over the range [0,π] is equal to 2. Therefore, the integral becomes:

mean = (1/2πv0^2) * 2 * π * 2 = 4/πv0^2

This means that the mean vector in the 3-D space is a vector of length 4/πv0^2 in the horizontal direction. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the definition of integral mean for a function of 2 variables?

The integral mean for a function of 2 variables is a concept in calculus that represents the average value of a function over a given area on a 2-dimensional plane.

2. How is integral mean calculated for a function of 2 variables?

The integral mean for a function of 2 variables is calculated by first finding the double integral of the function over the given area, and then dividing it by the area of the region. This can be represented mathematically as:
Integral Mean = (Double Integral of Function) / (Area of Region)

3. What is the significance of integral mean in real-world applications?

The integral mean for a function of 2 variables has many real-world applications, including calculating the average temperature over a region, finding the average speed of an object moving in 2 dimensions, and determining the average concentration of a substance in a given area. It is also used in economics and finance to calculate the average value of a function representing a quantity or value over a certain region.

4. Can integral mean be negative?

Yes, integral mean can be negative. This occurs when the function being integrated has negative values over the given area, resulting in a negative overall value for the integral mean.

5. What are the limitations of using integral mean for a function of 2 variables?

The main limitation of using integral mean for a function of 2 variables is that it assumes the function remains constant over the given area. In reality, many functions vary over a given region, making it difficult to accurately calculate the average value using this method. Additionally, this method only applies to continuous functions, so it cannot be used for discontinuous or non-differentiable functions.