Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infected from dog hair

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    I just cleaned out the vacuum cleaner which was filled with dog hair. It reeked of dog when I opened it up. A few seconds later I felt itchy in several places..I figured it was just fine dust particles that were irritating my skin. Then I went into the bathroom and saw that my skin had reacted to it more like it was poison ivy or something. As far as I know I'm not allergic to dogs...never sneeze around them, and my roommate (who is a vet) says his dog has never had flees. Any ideas what might cause this? I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of thing before.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you're allergic to dog dander.

- Warren

4. Aug 28, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are all sort of things in vacuum dust.

5. Aug 28, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Including dust mites feeding on the dog dander. Lots of people are allergic to dust mites (or perhaps their droppings).

6. Aug 28, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of the numbers related to pillows and bedding is sickening. There was one study that showed that really old pillows can be as much as 50% dust mite, by weight.

7. Aug 28, 2009 #6
    I had heard 30%...which is equally sickening. But I just bought all new pillows and comforter and bed so that's out of my head!

8. Aug 28, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and dust mite poop.

One of the mattress stores out here has been exploiting that data in their commercials. There was one that said a mattress would more than double in weight in 7 years because of dust mites.

9. Aug 28, 2009 #8
    I imagine the weight would also increase due to sweat and other foreign matter secreted from skin pores..

10. Aug 28, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every matteress should have a matteress cover (preferably waterproof...no, it doesn't have to be like a vinyl cover, they make very nice, soft waterproof ones). And wash the covers as often as you wash the sheets, with hot water. I buy a new one every year or so.

New pillows every year, too...although I've not been happy with the waterproof pillow covers I've found. They're stiff and get too hot.

These steps cut down on the mite population sharing your sleeping quarters.

11. Aug 28, 2009 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct. That is what I should have said.

12. Aug 28, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I need more dust mites to fill out my pillows. I have feather pillows (I have the fiber fill ones for guests with allergies, but I can't sleep on those hard pillows) and they all seem to lose their filling over time. There's no way I'm replacing feather pillows every year, they're too expensive, but they sure do seem to shrink a lot in a very short amount of time.

13. Aug 28, 2009 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Hmm...there may be a limited, but lucrative, market in dust-mite-poop pillows, haha.

I know I'm lucky, I have a (urm, well-to-do) family member who buys pillows for everyone for Christmas. Everyone loves it, and it simplifies her shopping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook