Infectious Yawn: Does this Picture Make You Yawn?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a picture of a bunny that some find cute, while others find it disgusting or scary. The mention of yawning in the conversation may have caused some to yawn, but not necessarily due to the picture. The topic of rabbits also leads to some interesting facts, such as rabbits being lagomorphs and living in a warren.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does this picture make you yawn?

http://talkingegg.com/humor/bunny20.jpg

It worked on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Does this picture make you yawn?

http://talkingegg.com/humor/bunny20.jpg

It worked on me.

When i first saw it i thought, shock horror pain, but now i think i will go to sleeeeeee

Oh, and I thought it was "Largo al factotum," Figaro's aria from Il Barbiere di Siviglia.:tongue: :biggrin:

hahaha, I looked at this picture and I yawned
What a stupid picture :P

um...no...

whoops...just yawned...stupid picture

No yawn but I did giggle:biggrin:

You sure it's a yawn? Looks more like bunny is weally weally mad, and is about to bite the photographer. And why is that guy behind bunny tormenting and pinching him on the neck? Trying to get bunny to attack?:devil:

dammit! I yawned again... :x

Eep, look at those sharp, pointy teeth!

P.S. I think talking about yawning had more of an effect than the actual picture. (I've not yet yawned, though)

On second thought, it reminds me of that scary Monty Python bunny.

It made me laugh, not yawn. Reading the thread title made me yawn though...go figure. :rolleyes:

that picture is disgusting.

Math Is Hard said:
On second thought, it reminds me of that scary Monty Python bunny.

Thats no ordinary rabbit! Its the most foul tempered rodent ye ever laid eyes on! Look at the bones!

Of course not!
37.gif

cyrusabdollahi said:
that picture is disgusting.
I know, and how could it be the least bit cute?

franznietzsche said:
Thats no ordinary rabbit! Its the most foul tempered rodent ye ever laid eyes on! Look at the bones!
Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

The picture didn't, but all the people talking about yawning did.

Evo said:
Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?:grumpy:

Ummmm... no. My friend Shaw though says that it about made him scream.

franznietzsche said:
And since you made fun of my math the other night, I'll point out that rabbits aren't rodents. They're lagomorphs. :tongue: And I thought Brewnog was the only one zoologically challenged around here with his bat birds. :rolleyes: :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
And since you made fun of my math the other night, I'll point out that rabbits aren't rodents. They're lagomorphs. :tongue: And I thought Brewnog was the only one zoologically challenged around here with his bat birds. :rolleyes: :biggrin: :rofl:
Wow- lagomorphs? Who knew...

I was inspired to seek out rabbit trivia:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/facts.html
Fact: Rabbits are not rodents. They are lagomorphs. Other lagamorphs include hares and pikas.
What the heck is a pika?:confused:
Fact: A well cared for house rabbit that has been spayed or neutered early in life has a life expectancy of 8 to 12 years of age.

Fact: The gestation period of a rabbit is about 31 days.

Fact: A group of rabbits is called a herd.
and one for chroot...
Fact: A group of rabbits lives in a warren.
I picture little bunnies nestled in chroot's sweater. awwwwrrr:shy: :smile:

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Of course not![PLAIN]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/37.gif[/QUOTE][/URL]
I love this smilie!

(but it made me yaaawwwwnnn)

1. What is an infectious yawn?

An infectious yawn is a phenomenon where seeing or hearing someone yawn causes a person to yawn themselves. It is believed to be a subconscious response to social cues and empathy towards others.

2. Is infectious yawning a sign of a contagious disease?

No, infectious yawning is not a sign of a contagious disease. It is a normal physiological response and does not indicate any illness or infection.

3. Why do we yawn when we see others yawn?

There are several theories as to why we yawn when we see others yawn. One theory is that it is a form of social bonding and empathy, as yawning is contagious among primates and other social animals. Another theory is that it is a way for our bodies to regulate brain temperature and increase alertness.

4. Can animals experience infectious yawning?

Yes, some animals have been observed exhibiting infectious yawning, including primates, dogs, and even some birds. This suggests that contagious yawning is a behavior that has evolved in social species.

5. Is there a way to prevent or suppress infectious yawning?

There is no known way to prevent or suppress infectious yawning. It is believed to be an involuntary response and cannot be consciously controlled. However, some studies have shown that people with higher levels of empathy may be more susceptible to contagious yawning.