Proving the Existence and Properties of the Infimum in Metric Spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the lemma that any bounded below set of real numbers has an infimum. The interlocutors also discuss the definition of lower bound and the fact that the set of distances is bounded below and has an infimum, as well as the fact that distances are trivially bounded below by zero. The conversation ends with a final question about how to show that if x is in Y, then f(x) = 0.
mathboy20
Hi

I have another question in the field of analysis.

[tex]Y \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

I'm suppose to show that if [tex]x \in \mathbb{R}^n[/tex], then the set

[tex]\{ || x - y || \ y \in Y \}[/tex]

has an infimum, such that

[tex]f(x) = \mathrm{inf} \{ || x - y || \ y \in Y \}[/tex]

I know that I'm suppose to show that the infimum is the shortest distance between x and y. But how I proceed from there?

Where [tex]f: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex].

Sincerely Yours
Mathboy20

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lemma: any bounded below set of real numbers has an inf.

Proof: if not I can create a sequence in the set tending to minus infinity.

matt grime said:
Lemma: any bounded below set of real numbers has an inf.

Proof: if not I can create a sequence in the set tending to minus infinity.

Hello Matt, and thank You for Your reply,

If I have understood You correctly, I then need to show, that its impossible to create a sequence which tends to minus infinity?

Sincerely Yours

Mathboy20

No, you have not understood me correctly.

The set of distances is a subset of [0,infinity) so it is necessarily bounded below and has an inf. All bounded below sets have infs. That is one of the elementary facts you learn about infs. (elementary in the sense of 'the first things', not necessarily the easiest.)

You do not need to reprove this fact, I was merely illustrating why the fact was true, hoping to jog your memory.

Last edited:
Okay I think I get it now :)

So what I need to show is that the distance set {||x-y||} is bounded below, and by showing this it implies (according to the definition) that the distance set has a greatest lower bound aka infimum?

Definition of lower bound:

A number less than or equal to any number in a set

Proof:

Since [tex]x \in \mathbb{R}^n[/tex], and [tex]y \in Y \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

Then [tex]x \in \{||x-y|| \}[/tex]

Ergo [tex]\{||x-y|| \}[/tex] has a lower and therefore according to the definition of glb also an infimum.

Sincerely Yours

Mathboy20

matt grime said:
No, you have not understood me correctly.

The set of distances is a subset of [0,infinity) so it is necessarily bounded below and has an inf. All bounded below sets have infs. That is one of the elementary facts you learn about infs. (elementary in the sense of 'the first things', not necessarily the easiest.)

You do not need to reprove this fact, I was merely illustrating why the fact was true, hoping to jog your memory.

Last edited:
Yes, and distances are trivially (ie the definition of a metric ensures that this is true) bounded below by zero. To be totally rigorous you might want to add that since Y is non-empty the set of distances is a non-empty bounded below set and so has an inf.

Last edited:
thank You very much Matt,

Sincerely Yours

Mathboy20

matt grime said:
Yes, and distances are trivially (ie the definition of a metric ensures that this is true) bounded below by zero. To be totally rigorous you might want to add that since Y is non-empty the set of distances is a non-empty bounded below set and so has an inf.

I final question regarding this matter.

If [tex]x \in Y[/tex] then I'm suppose to show, that f(x) = 0

Any hints on how I do that?

Sincerley Yours

Mathboy20

Last edited:

What is the definition of "Infimum of a metric space"?

The infimum of a metric space is the greatest lower bound of all the distances between elements in the space. It is denoted by "inf" and can be thought of as the minimum distance between any two points in the metric space.

How is the infimum of a metric space different from the minimum distance?

The infimum is the greatest lower bound of all the distances in the metric space, while the minimum distance is the actual smallest distance between two points. It is possible for the infimum to exist even if the minimum distance does not exist.

What is the significance of the infimum of a metric space in real-world applications?

The infimum of a metric space is used to define important concepts in real-world applications, such as continuity, convergence, and completeness. It also helps in understanding the structure of the metric space and its properties.

Can the infimum of a metric space be infinite?

Yes, the infimum of a metric space can be infinite if the metric space has an infinite number of elements and the distances between them are unbounded, meaning there is no upper limit to the distances between elements.

How is the infimum of a metric space calculated?

The infimum of a metric space is calculated by finding the greatest lower bound of all the distances between elements in the space. This can be done by listing out all the distances and finding the smallest value, or by using mathematical techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition of the infimum.