1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infimum of subsets in R

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a is both the infimum of A[itex]\subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] and of B[itex]\subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] then a is also the infimum of A[itex]\cap[/itex]B

Is this statement true or false? If true, prove it. If false, give a counterexample.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it's true because let's say A={1,2,3,4} and B={1,2,3} then A[itex]\cap[/itex]B = {1,2,3}.

Then inf {A}= 1 and inf {B} = 1.
    And inf {A[itex]\cap[/itex]B} = 1.

However, I think it's false because, and correct me if I'm wrong, the infimum doesn't necessarily have to belong to the subsets A nor B to be an infimum. The infimum can also be a value outside of those sets. Which would imply that the infimum of A and B doesn't have to be equal to the infimum of A[itex]\cap[/itex]B.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

What happens if [itex]A \cap B[/itex] is empty? Nothing in the problem statement says that they have to intersect, so long as they have the same infimum which, as you point out, does not have to be a member of either A or B.

Is it possible to have two subsets [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] with [itex]\inf A = \inf B[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = \varnothing[/itex]?

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    Hm, I don't think that last part is possible. Both sets have something in common, i.e. the infimum, which would imply [itex]A \cap B[/itex] is not empty. Is my reasoning correct?

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Have you heard of Zeno's paradox (the well-known one I mean)?

6. Jun 25, 2014 #5
    Yes. Why?

7. Jun 25, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No it is not. Let A be the set of all positive rational numbers. It's infimum is 0. Let B be the set of all positive irrational numbers. Its infimum is also 0. But their intersection is empty.

8. Jun 25, 2014 #7
    So this would fit as a counterexample because you've found the exact same infimum for set A and set B, i.e. 0, and this infimum does not equate to the infimum of their empty intersection?

9. Jun 25, 2014 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Indeed, ##inf(ø) = ∞## and ##sup(ø) = -∞##.

10. Jun 25, 2014 #9
    Thanks! Unrelated question : Any advice to someone learning this on his own? I love physics and I know I have to grind through the mathematical details because they matter too but sometimes I get a bit frustrated if I don't immediately get the answer correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted