Infinite Exponentation: Convergence Tests and More

• Thread starter Jakim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite exponentiation, which is defined as the iterative application of exponentiation to a list of numbers. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding a convergence test for real numbers in infinite exponentiation and notes that the case where all numbers are zero will result in a divergence to zero. One participant suggests a potential convergence criteria based on the values of the numbers. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read an article on the topic of tetration.
Jakim
Infinite exponentiation

Define:

[itex]\displaystyle\bigodot\limits_{i=1}^n a_i = {a_1}^{{a_2}^{{...}^{a_n}}}=\exp(\ln a_1 \cdot \exp(\ln a_2 \cdot \exp(\ln a_3 \cdots (\exp(\ln a_{n-1} \cdot a_n))))[/itex]

Has anybody thought about convergence test for real numbers for:

[itex]\displaystyle\bigodot\limits_{i=1}^{\infty} a_i = \lim_{n\to\infty}\bigodot\limits_{i=1}^n a_i[/itex]

We should also add note that [itex]\bigodot\limits_{i=1}^{\infty} a_i = 0[/itex] diverges to [itex]0[/itex].

My shot is: the infinite exponentation converges if and only if contains only finite amount of terms [itex]|a_i| \geqslant e^{e^{-1}} \vee |a_i| \leqslant \left(e^{-1}\right)^e[/itex] but I haven't much thought about it.

Greetings.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

What is infinite exponentiation?

Infinite exponentiation is a mathematical operation where a number is raised to an infinite power. This means that the exponent is a never-ending sequence of numbers.

What are some examples of infinite exponentiation?

An example of infinite exponentiation is the expression 2^∞, which means 2 raised to the power of infinity. Another example is 3^∞, which means 3 raised to the power of infinity.

How is convergence tested in infinite exponentiation?

Infinite exponentiation can be tested for convergence using various methods, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests determine whether the infinite exponentiation expression approaches a finite number or tends to infinity.

What are some applications of infinite exponentiation?

Infinite exponentiation has applications in various fields, including number theory, calculus, and physics. It is used to model exponential growth and decay processes and is also used in the study of infinite series and sequences.

Can infinite exponentiation result in a negative number?

Yes, infinite exponentiation can result in a negative number if the base is a negative number and the exponent is an odd integer. For example, (-2)^∞ would result in a negative number.