1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite-Finite Potential Well

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I need help with this question. I'm not sure exactly what it wants (what does it mean by bound state) and how should I start the problem? Here it is:

Consider a particle of mass m moving in the following potential:
    • [itex]\infty[/itex] for [itex]x \leq 0[/itex]
    • [itex]-V_0[/itex] for [itex]0 < x \leq a \ (V_0 > 0)[/itex]
    • [itex]0[/itex] for [itex]x > a[/itex]
    Calculate the minimum value for [itex]V_0[/itex] (in terms of a, m, and the Planck constant) so that the particle will have one bound state.

I guess what they're asking for is the smallest value for [itex]V_0[/itex] such that some particle will have energy E such that [itex]-V_0 < E < 0[/itex]. So, if I can find the energy of the particle that is negative but closest to zero, that value will be [itex]-V_0[/itex]. Is this right so far? If so, how do I go about finding E?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way I would go about this problem is by solving the Schrödinger equation and finding the energies. Assuming [itex]-V_0<E<0[/itex].

Then find the value of [itex]V_0[/itex] for which there is only one state with an energy<0.

I solved the finite potential well in the past, but don't remember it well enough to know if this is doable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?