What is the Intensity Distribution in Young's Experiment with Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the intensity distribution of the Young experiment with light, specifically how it can potentially have an infinite intensity. This could be due to two reasons: either the intensity of the light wave does not decrease with distance, or the diffraction pattern is essential and the concept of "point sources" fails in this case. The distribution function for the intensity is given by I = I_max cos²(phi/2), but there is ambiguity surrounding the maximum intensity value. The conversation also mentions a java applet that simulates the experiment for those interested in understanding it further.
nonequilibrium
If you disregard the diffraction pattern, the intensity distribution of the Young experiment with light (take two slits) gives an infinite intensity (in the sense that it doesn't decrease for an infinite height: the intensity distribution is given by a cos² function with a constant amplitude)

This could have two reasons:

a) It assumes the intensity of a light wave doesn't decrease with distance, even though it has a spherical source and since I = P/A and P = constant, I should decrease;

b) The diffraction pattern is basically essential and this is a case where a mathematical idealization like "point sources" fail in a physical theory.

It could possibly be even a combination: The light originally was a parallel bundle, in which case indeed (cf. a) the I doesn't diminish with distance, and you presume (cf. b) that a (fraction of a) parallel light beam bundle can be 'turned into' a spherical source, but this is impossible in relation to the fact that I was distance-independent.

Any thoughts?

mr. vodka

EDIT: the distribution fuction I have derived in my book is (for the averaged) I = I_max cos²(phi/2) with phi = 2Pi*d*sin(theta)/lambda with d = slit distance, theta = angle you're looking at, lambda = wavelength. However, I can't get any clear info on what I_max is, my book seems to be avoiding the matter ánd applying ambiguous logic (when going to #slits = 3, it chooses for I_max the intensity as if there were one slit, while this interpretation isn't compatible for #slits = 2). Is it hard to say? Is it connected with my above question about the nature of spherical intensity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now that I took a closer look, I noticed that if you take the slit width smaller than the wavelength, the single-slit diffraction pattern is completely negligible (there isn't even a first minimum), so even wíth diffraction pattern you get an infinite spread of intensity peaks in this simulation. What am I overlooking?

Here's a fun java applet for those who want to get some feeling of it:

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/mcintyre/applets/grating/grating.html

What is "Infinite Intensity with Young"?

"Infinite Intensity with Young" is a workout program created by fitness expert Young Lee. It is designed to help individuals achieve their fitness goals through high intensity interval training, strength training, and plyometrics.

Is "Infinite Intensity with Young" suitable for all fitness levels?

Yes, "Infinite Intensity with Young" is suitable for all fitness levels. The program includes modifications and progressions for each exercise, allowing individuals to tailor the workout to their own fitness level.

Can "Infinite Intensity with Young" be done at home?

Yes, "Infinite Intensity with Young" can be done at home. The program requires minimal equipment and can be done in a small space, making it accessible for those who prefer to workout at home.

How often should I do "Infinite Intensity with Young"?

The recommended frequency for "Infinite Intensity with Young" is 3-4 times per week, with rest days in between. It is important to give your body time to recover and prevent overtraining.

What are the benefits of "Infinite Intensity with Young"?

"Infinite Intensity with Young" has numerous benefits including increased cardiovascular fitness, improved muscular strength and endurance, and increased metabolism. It can also help with weight loss, stress reduction, and overall improvement in physical and mental well-being.