• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Infinite Ladderof Capacitors

• Thread starter cgjones
  • Start date
Arrangment as is follows a's are there as place holders to keep the diagram intact while posting, all capacitors have = capacitance C

___||______||____||____||......
aaaaaa|aaaaaaa|aaaaaa|
aaaaaa=aaaaaaa=aaaaa= .........
aaaaaa|aaaaaaa|aaaaaa|

The question just asks for the equvilant capacitance.

The professor hinted at the solution by writing 1/ceq = 1/c + 1/ceq where ceq is the equivelent capacitance and the answeris given as (c/2)((5)^(1/2)-1)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Suppose you remove the two leftmost capacitors from the diagram.
What you have left is the same infinite network of capacitors, wich should
have the same capacitance.

ok I understand that, so that would leave you with 1/ceq=(2/c + 1/ceq)? because the 2 "removed" capacitors are in series

Last edited:
ok I understand that, so that would leave you with 1/ceq=(2/c + 1/ceq)? because the 2 "removed" capacitors are in series
They are not in series. draw a diagram with just the first 2 capacitors and the rest of the network as Ceq

so 1/ceq=1/c + 1/ceq is what i got, which is insolvable, circuts are definatly not my strong point i guess
____||_________
aaaaaaaa|aaaaa|
aaaaaaaa=aaaaa= ceq
aaaaaaaa|aaaaa|
______________|

so 1/ceq=1/c + 1/ceq is what i got, which is insolvable, circuts are definatly not my strong point i guess
____||_________
aaaaaaaa|aaaaa|
aaaaaaaa=aaaaa= ceq
aaaaaaaa|aaaaa|
______________|
The capacity of the entire circuit Ceq is equal to the capacity of the circuit you've drawn
here, wich is one capacitor of value Ceq in parallel with a capacitor of value C, and the
equivalent capacitor to that in series with another capacitor with capacitance C

Just do like willem2 said, and remember: capacitors in series combine like resistors in parallel, and vice versa. I tried out the problem myself, and the answer you have quoted is correct: i.e., Ceq = (c/2)(5^0.5 - 1).