1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Limit help

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {\sqrt{t^{2}+2}}{4t+2} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Later in the problem I will use:

[tex] \epsilon^{+} \;\;\;\;\;\;\;and\;\;\;\;\;\;\; \epsilon^{-} [/tex]

to represent positive and negative infinitesimals, respectively.

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {\sqrt{t^{2}+2}}{4t+2} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {\sqrt{t^{2}(1+2t^{-2})}}{4t+2} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {t\sqrt{1+2t^{-2}}}{4t+2} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {t\sqrt{1+2t^{-2}}}{t(4+2t^{-1})} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {\sqrt{1+2t^{-2}}}{4+2t^{-1}} [/tex]

So at this point the limit is basically saying this:

[tex] \frac {1 + \epsilon^{+}}{4+ \epsilon^{-}} [/tex]

this is because the reciprocal of negative infinity squared is a positive infinitesimal and the reciprocal of negative infinity is a negative infinitesimal so the limit is:

[tex] \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac {\sqrt{t^{2}+2}}{4t+2} = \frac {1}{4} [/tex]

My book states it should be -1/4 but I do not see why. Your adding a positive infinitesimal to 1 and subtracting it from 4, but that doesn't make the numerator or denominator negative, so what I am I missing?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    Delete post
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. May 18, 2010 #3
    \sqrt{t^{2}} = \left| t \right| = \left\{
    t & , & t \ge 0 \\
    -t & , & t < 0
    \end{array} \right.
  5. May 18, 2010 #4
    That too. So the above is a better answer. Multiply by |t|/|t| and look at the situation, ie. where the limit is going off to, if you have a problem like the one you have with a square root, etc. in order to see if you need a +t or -t.
  6. May 18, 2010 #5
    No! You only made a mistake in step 3 where you took [itex]t^{2}[/itex] from the square root. According to my formula, you should have taken something else. Everything else follows from there.
  7. May 18, 2010 #6
    You're right, I feel stupid now for not realizing my mistake from the beginning. They should have left the t^2 in there and multiplied the expression by |t|/|t| to take the t^2 away in the numerator and leave a -t to be multiplied through in the denominator and apply the limit to get the answer.
  8. May 18, 2010 #7
    Could you possibly explain what it is that I was suppose to take out? The (1+2t^{-2})? cause that would be the only part to take out of the radical and I don't see that getting me to the correct solution.

I don't see why I would need to multiply t/t by -t/-t to get them to cancel just because it is -infinity, t/t = t*t^-1 = 1 inherently, why is the multiplication necessary?
  9. May 18, 2010 #8
    sorry, didnt notice the last post physicsman2,

so should i not have even factored out the t^2 and instead multiplied by |t|/|t| which is effectively -t because the limit is - infinity? I still don't see how it is solved though...
  10. May 18, 2010 #9
    You solved it, though. When t < 0, |t|/t = -1, which is where the negative appears.
  11. May 18, 2010 #10
    oh, i am pretty sure i got it then
  12. May 18, 2010 #11
    Pretty much this.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, I wasn't thinking all that well until I was corrected.
    Remember that |t| also equals sqrt(t^2). |t| can also equal either t or -t the way Dickfore showed. Since you want to take out a t^2 and cancel to apply the limit, you change |t| to sqrt(t^2) to bring it into the radical and divide. You would change the |t| in the denominator to -t because you're approaching -infinity, just as Tedjn showed. Divide and apply the limit, and you get -1/4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook