Infinite Limit: How to Prove a Sequence Goes to Infinity

In summary: Yes. You can use the earlier work to find that \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \infty. Then, if n >= M, an > M.
The_Iceflash

Homework Statement

Ok. For this sequence: [tex]a_{n} = n^2\left|cosn\pi\right|[/tex], Show/Prove that [tex]a_{n} \rightarrow\infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to manipulate the statement to show that
[tex]n^2\left|cosn\pi\right| > ?[/tex]

I'm having trouble making a statement that's smaller. If it was a fraction I could do it:

Ex: Manipulating [tex]\frac{n^3}{n^2+2}[/tex] gets

[tex]\frac{n^3}{n^2+2} > \frac{n^3}{n^2+n^2} = \frac{n^3}{2n^2} = \frac{n^3}{2}[/tex]

I replace 2 with n^2 to make the denominator bigger thus making it smaller. I somehow have to do something like that with the sequence given but I'm not sure how.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think something is missing in the problem statement. What is the exact wording of this problem?

Mark44 said:
I think something is missing in the problem statement. What is the exact wording of this problem?

I just added it above.

The_Iceflash said:
[tex]a_{n} \rightarrow\infty[/tex] > ?
Prove that it's greater than what? That still doesn't make any sense.

Mark44 said:
Prove that it's greater than what? That still doesn't make any sense.

That's what I have to figure out. The example with the fraction I showed is what I have to do somehow.

Assuming n is an integer, |cos(n*pi)| = 1, so n2|cos(n*pi)| = n2. What does that do if n gets large?

Mark44 said:
Assuming n is an integer, |cos(n*pi)| = 1, so n2|cos(n*pi)| = n2. What does that do if n gets large?

If n gets large then the sequence gets large.

So, would n2|cos(n*pi)| > n|cos(n*pi)| be sufficient?

After I would do that I need to set it greater than M and solve for it.

For example: the fraction above I set [tex]\frac{n^{3}}{2} > M [/tex] and solved for n.

Then I'd put it all together formally.

Clearly, from the earlier work, [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \infty[/tex]

Now, to prove that this is so, you want for find a number M s.t., for all n >= M, an > M.

You have an = n2 (reason given earlier) and you want an > M.

Can you combine these and solve for n?

1. What is an infinite limit question?

An infinite limit question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value, typically infinity. It is used to determine the ultimate behavior of a function, such as whether it approaches a finite number or infinity.

2. How do I solve an infinite limit question?

The first step in solving an infinite limit question is to determine the type of limit, whether it is a one-sided limit or a two-sided limit. Then, you can use various techniques such as factoring, rationalization, or L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit. It is important to also consider the domain of the function and any restrictions on the input value.

3. What are the different types of infinite limits?

There are three types of infinite limits: positive infinity, negative infinity, and an indeterminate form. A limit is said to approach positive infinity if the function's output increases without bound as the input approaches a certain value. Similarly, a limit approaches negative infinity if the function's output decreases without bound. An indeterminate form is when the limit cannot be determined without further evaluation.

4. Why are infinite limit questions important?

Infinite limit questions are important in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their ultimate outcomes. They are also used in various fields such as physics and economics to model real-life situations that involve continuous change. Understanding infinite limits can also help in solving more complex problems in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving infinite limit questions?

Some common mistakes when solving infinite limit questions include forgetting to check for any restrictions on the input value, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and not considering the type of limit (one-sided or two-sided). It is also important to note that an indeterminate form does not necessarily mean the limit does not exist, and further evaluation may be needed to determine its value.