What is the relationship between ln(y) and y for infinite limits on a sequence?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with solving limits to infinity for different sequences. They receive some hints and are able to solve some of the limits, but still need guidance for others. They discuss using logarithms and the behavior of sine and cosine to approach the limits. The conversation ends with a question about the relation between ln(y) and y.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Well, Hi again. Here I got some limits to infinity that I don't know how to solve. The statement just ask me to calculate those limits, if exists, for the next sequences.

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{n \to{+}\infty}{(\sqrt[n]{n+1})}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{n \to{+}\infty}{\displaystyle\frac{\sin(n)}{n+1}}[/tex][tex]\displaystyle\lim_{n \to{+}\infty}{\displaystyle\frac{1-\cos(5n)}{n^2}}[/tex]

I don't pretend that someone solve all of these for me, but I need some orientation on which way to look. I'll be thanked for any help on any of those sequences.

Edit: Deleted the ones that I could solve. Someone gave me some tips, and I could solve some of the limits that I have posted before. As there wasn't any responses to the topic I thought that it was unnecessary to repost giving the advertisement.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints: Think about logarithms on the first and think about how big sines and cosines can be on the others.

I resolved the trigonometric ones. Thanks for the hints, I'll keep working on the first.

I established on the last two that sine and cosine are between 1 and -1, so both tend to zero.

On the first, is this valid? [tex](\sqrt[n]{n+1})=\displaystyle\frac{log (n+1)}{n}\[/tex]

Last edited:
Telemachus said:
I resolved the trigonometric ones. Thanks for the hints, I'll keep working on the first.

I established on the last two that sine and cosine are between 1 and -1, so both tend to zero.

On the first, is this valid? [tex](\sqrt[n]{n+1})=\displaystyle\frac{log (n+1)}{n}\[/tex]

No, those two quantities aren't equal are they? But you could call

[tex] y = \left({n+1}\right)^{\frac 1 n}[/tex]

and then say

[tex] \ln(y) = \frac{log (n+1)}{n}[/tex]

and work with ln(y).

Thanks, I'll remember that, because it looks like the legs of a woman (y) :D

How did you realize that applying the ln to the expression gives the same function?

ln(y) tends to infinite really fast. How do I get the relation between what happens with ln(y) and y?

Last edited:

What is an infinite limit on a sequence?

An infinite limit on a sequence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence as its values approach infinity. It means that the values in the sequence continue to increase or decrease without bound.

How is an infinite limit on a sequence different from a finite limit?

A finite limit on a sequence means that the values in the sequence eventually approach a specific number as the sequence continues. An infinite limit, on the other hand, means that the values in the sequence do not approach a specific number and instead continue to increase or decrease without bound.

How do you determine if a sequence has an infinite limit?

To determine if a sequence has an infinite limit, you can look at the behavior of its terms as the sequence continues. If the terms continue to increase or decrease without bound, then the sequence has an infinite limit.

Can an infinite limit on a sequence exist for both positive and negative values?

Yes, an infinite limit on a sequence can exist for both positive and negative values. This means that the values in the sequence can approach positive or negative infinity as the sequence continues.

What are some real-world applications of infinite limits on sequences?

Infinite limits on sequences are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. They can help model the behavior of systems that continue to grow or decline without bound, such as population growth, stock market trends, and computer algorithms.