What is the Electric Field at a Point Near an Infinite Line of Charge?

In summary, we have an infinite line of negative charge with a uniform charge distribution of λ = -2.3 μC/m starting at the origin and extending in the +y-direction. We are trying to calculate the x and y-components of the electric field at the point (0,-3 m). Using the formula E = 2kL / r, we find that Ex = 0 since the charge also lies on the y-axis. To find Ey, we must set up an integral for the field contributed by an element of charge along the line. The expression for this integral is ∫(0 to ∞) kλ/(y+3)^2 dy, and by solving it we get Ey = 13800 N
TwinGemini14
An infinite line of negative charge begins at the origin and continues forever in the +y-direction. It has a uniform charge distribution of λ = -2.3 μC/m. Calculate the x and y-component of the electric field at the point (0,-3 m).

-------

So immediately realized that Ex = 0 since te charge also lies on the y axis. I cannot seem to evaluate what Ey would be.

L=Lambda

Here's what I'm doing: E = 2kL / r
E = 2(9*10^9)(-2.3*10^-6) / (-3)
E = 13800 N/C

What am I doing wrong? Can somebody please help me? I've been working on this problem for a very long time. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
TwinGemini14 said:
Here's what I'm doing: E = 2kL / r
That formula describes the field surrounding an infinite line of charge at some distance (r) from the line. Not useful for this problem since you are finding the field along the line of the charge and you are dealing with the end of the line of charge. Instead, set up an expression for the field contributed by an element of charge and integrate.

I don't understand how to set up this integral. Will the limits be from 0 to infinity?

inf.
k | (-2.3*10^-6)y / (3+y)^2

| = integrand

Does this look right? I seriously do not understand how to set up this equation. Help please!

TwinGemini14 said:
inf.
k | (-2.3*10^-6)y / (3+y)^2
That's pretty close. Here's how I would write it:

(0 to ∞) kλ/(y+3)^2 dy

Forget the sign of the charge, just worry about the magnitude. You'll assign the proper direction and sign to the field at the end.

What is an infinite line of charge?

An infinite line of charge is an idealized model used in physics to represent a one-dimensional line of electric charge with an infinite length. It is a simplification of a real-world scenario where the length of the line is much larger than the distance between the charges.

How is the electric field calculated for an infinite line of charge?

The electric field for an infinite line of charge can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field strength at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the point.

What is the direction of the electric field for an infinite line of charge?

The electric field for an infinite line of charge is always perpendicular to the line of charge. This means that the electric field lines are parallel to each other and point away from a positively charged line and towards a negatively charged line.

Can an infinite line of charge exist in reality?

No, an infinite line of charge is an idealized model and cannot exist in reality. However, it is a useful tool for understanding and solving problems in physics and can be used to approximate real-world scenarios.

What are some real-world applications of an infinite line of charge?

An infinite line of charge can be used to model the electric field of a long, thin wire or a charged cylinder. It is also used in the study of electrostatics and can help explain phenomena such as lightning and the behavior of electrically charged particles in a vacuum.