1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite line of charge

1. Aug 25, 2005 #1
    The question I've been attempting:

From my notes and working etc. I've got:

E = lambda/2*pi*epsilon*r (where lambda = charge per unit length and epsilon = permittivity of free space)

F = E * q (where q = the charge of the proton, -1.60*10^-19, as apparently defined by the question)

I've used the F calculated to get acceleration by

a = F/m (where m = mass of proton)

I get a value of -7.88*10^7

I then use the linear acceleration formula v^2 = u^2 + 2*a*s to try and calculate s.

I get 0.04627... (4.63*10^-2)

Apparently this is incorrect however. Can anyone see where I'm messing up?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The linear acceleration formula holds only when the acceleration is constant.

Try using energy conservation instead! :)
  4. Aug 25, 2005 #3
    Hmm, still having trouble,

1/2*m*v^2 + E*q*y = 0 + E*q*(unknown y value)

The formula for E that I'm using doesn't make sense to me but appears right in my notes and text book: E = lambda (charge per unit length)/2*pi*r*epsilon(permittivity of free space)

I wouldn't think E relies on r (for a straight line of charge). Aren't field lines parallel for a line of charge? Meaning E is constant at any point in the field?

I'm not given the r value for the final state of the particle, so I can't work out either E or the unknown y on the right hand side of that formula.
  5. Aug 25, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

The "Electric Field Lines" are spread out more (1-dim), farther from the wire.
    That means the E-field strength decreases as 1/r .
    You need substripts to distinguish "E_final" from "E_initial" ... not equal!

You want to integrate E(r) from y_initial to y_final ...
    or if this isn't for calc-based physics, use Potential.
  6. Aug 26, 2005 #5
    No, still confused out of my brain. Was doing it on Mastering Physics.com, but exceeded attempts and failed the question. I tried a billion random different formulas. Worst thing is having no idea if they were even valid to use in an equation

The answer was apparently 0.134 m, but I still can't see how. I'll probably have to see tutorial teacher or something :confused::confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?