• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Infinite line of charge

The question I've been attempting:

An infinitely long line of charge has a linear charge density of 8.00×10−12 C/m. A proton is a distance of 17.5 cm from the line and moving directly toward the line with a speed of 2700 m/s.

How close does the proton get to the line of charge?
Use 1.60×10−19 C for the magnitude of the charge on an electron, 1.67×10−27 kg for the mass of a proton, and 8.85×10−12 F/m for the permittivity of free space
From my notes and working etc. I've got:

E = lambda/2*pi*epsilon*r (where lambda = charge per unit length and epsilon = permittivity of free space)

F = E * q (where q = the charge of the proton, -1.60*10^-19, as apparently defined by the question)

I've used the F calculated to get acceleration by

a = F/m (where m = mass of proton)

I get a value of -7.88*10^7

I then use the linear acceleration formula v^2 = u^2 + 2*a*s to try and calculate s.

I get 0.04627... (4.63*10^-2)

Apparently this is incorrect however. Can anyone see where I'm messing up?

Answers and Replies

Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The linear acceleration formula holds only when the acceleration is constant.

Try using energy conservation instead! :)

Hmm, still having trouble,

1/2*m*v^2 + E*q*y = 0 + E*q*(unknown y value)

The formula for E that I'm using doesn't make sense to me but appears right in my notes and text book: E = lambda (charge per unit length)/2*pi*r*epsilon(permittivity of free space)

I wouldn't think E relies on r (for a straight line of charge). Aren't field lines parallel for a line of charge? Meaning E is constant at any point in the field?

I'm not given the r value for the final state of the particle, so I can't work out either E or the unknown y on the right hand side of that formula.

lightgrav
Homework Helper
The "Electric Field Lines" are spread out more (1-dim), farther from the wire.
That means the E-field strength decreases as 1/r .
You need substripts to distinguish "E_final" from "E_initial" ... not equal!

You want to integrate E(r) from y_initial to y_final ...
or if this isn't for calc-based physics, use Potential.

No, still confused out of my brain. Was doing it on Mastering Physics.com, but exceeded attempts and failed the question. I tried a billion random different formulas. Worst thing is having no idea if they were even valid to use in an equation

The answer was apparently 0.134 m, but I still can't see how. I'll probably have to see tutorial teacher or something :confused::confused: